5

I was confused.

Confused - what the hell was going on here?

What was Neil doing in the Oberoi's mansion? I thought he was not an Oberoi. Hell, I wouldn't have even imagined it. And that baby - Nishi - that is his niece...right?

Gauri just looked at me and then at Neil before deciding to say something.

Gauri: this is my daughter Nishi and this is my husband Shivay.

What?

WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL?

So Neil is actually Shivay and that means his 'niece' is actually his daughter and he is married to this gorgeous pretty woman in front of me?

My heart stuttered in my chest, and I could feel the blood draining from my face. This beautiful woman, Gauri, was married to Neil—no, Shivay. It was a revelation that hit me like a thunderbolt, shattering any semblance of understanding I thought I had.

I struggled to process the implications of what I had just learned. Neil, or rather, Shivay, had a wife and a daughter—a family that existed beyond the confines of my knowledge. How could I have been so blind? How could I have missed such a fundamental aspect of his life?

As Gauri's words echoed in my mind, I found myself lost in a sea of confusion, grappling with the overwhelming realisation that the man I thought I knew was a stranger in the most unexpected of ways.

Gauri: Anika, are you okay? You look like you've seen a ghost.

I gulped in my throat and forced a simple smile on my face as I nodded. Gauri smiled back as she went away to Nishi - probably to feed her - and that left me and Shivay alone.

Shivay: Anika...

Me: leave it! I am here for a professional job, not to discuss my personal life with you.

Shivay: can I come over later and talk about everything?

He said in a low voice - a near whisper. I looked at him and sighed. Had he not been married, I would have said yes to that question - a thousand yes's. But since he is married and has a child, I had to say no. I was by no means a homewrecker. I taught myself better than that. I was not about to do that to Gauri who seemed so sweet and innocent. I already felt guilty for kissing her husband - in my defence though, I didn't even know he was married. I could be excused in that case.

Me: no. You are not invited to my place anymore.

I declared firmly, cutting off any avenue for reconciliation before it could take root.

Before Shivay could respond, another presence entered the scene, commanding attention with her imposing aura. Kamini, the matriarch of the Oberoi family, descended the staircase, her presence exuding power and authority. I couldn't help but feel a sense of foreboding at the sight of her, knowing all too well the reputation she carried - thanks to the girls in the office who told me about the infamous Kamini.

As Kamini approached, her gaze swept over the room, assessing the situation with a keen eye. Her piercing blue eyes bore into me, and I couldn't shake the feeling of being under scrutiny, as if every flaw and weakness were laid bare before her.

Kamini: Ah, Anika, I presume?

She said, her tone cool and authoritative.

There was no mistaking the expectation in her words; she was accustomed to commanding obedience and respect, and I had no choice but to comply.

Me: yes, Mrs Oberoi. I've been tasked with organising the Maha Aarti for the Oberoi family.

Kamini nodded, her expression unreadable as she gestured for me to follow her into the nearby sitting room, leaving Shivay behind. As we settled into the plush chairs, she wasted no time in getting down to business.