Chapter 17: What the Future Holds

~Elliot~

"New quarter, new me." Drew said at our lunch table. "My old man said that I needed to get my grades up if I have any hope of getting into my dream college. He may be able to pull some strings to get me an interview, but if my grades don't work..."

"What did you get on the midterm?" Asked Josh from across the table.

Drew sighed. "C+."

"Could've been worse." Richie said with a shrug.

"How could it have been worse?" Drew asked, narrowing his eyes. "That's the lowest grade for passing."

"Exactly." Richie said in a duh tone. "Passing."

Drew rolled his eyes and then looked at Josh. "What about you? Did Natalie's tutoring help you?"

Josh didn't look up. "Well, we didn't really get to study more after the first time, since someone decided to overreact." He glanced up at me. "I did just watch the movie though. I got a B."

"I said I was sorry." I said.

"Well good thing that book had a movie." Drew said. "Wish I could do that for History."

"Haven't you heard of the History Channel?" Richie snickered.

I shook my head. These two are bickering like siblings. I look at Josh again.

"Are you still upset about that?" I asked him.

"No, but I was more upset that you took my tutor away from me." He said then took a bite of his sandwich. After swallowing he added. "She did tell me there was a movie about it so I just watched that. Most of it was like the book apparently because I got that B."

I nodded. "I'm glad it worked out."

"Me too." Josh then grinned. "So what did you do over Christmas break?"

I smiled. "Wouldn't you like to know."

"Curious, but maybe save me the dirty details, that's more of a Richie thing." Josh laughed.

"What about me?"

I gave Josh a warning look, but he pretended to not see it. "I just asked E what he did over Christmas break."

"More like who." Drew said with a smirk. "I am curious though. When you first slept with Emma you wouldn't stop talking about it, but now you haven't said a word about it."

"I don't need to say anything about it." I said in a low voice.

"So they haven't done it yet." Richie chuckled. "It's okay if she's a virgin, E."

I shot Richie a look.

Richie held up his hands. "I'm just saying-"

"Richie..." Josh warned.

I took a bite of my sandwich and then spit it out into a napkin. The bread was so soggy. I guess adding pickles to my sandwich this morning was not a good idea.

"Let's talk about something else." I said, adding my sandwich to the garbage pile. Richie picked it up, examined it and then chomped into it.

"When are baseball try-outs?" Asked Josh.

I shrugged. "Not sure. I think the old players are invited in March. Then actual try-outs are the week after."

"Do you think we got any good new players?" Josh asked.

"I heard a few freshman guys say they were going to try out, but I don't know if they can walk the walk." Drew said with a chuckle.

I spoke to Josh. "Maybe you can come over sometime when it gets a bit warmer out and help my pitching? I haven't worked on it all year, and I really should've."