⁷¹, A PLOT OF LAND

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter seventy-one; A Plot Of Land
" And for as long as I live, I will make sure to care for you the same way you care for me. "

  ELSPETH LIENS HAD to begin preparing the Langlois Estate for construction as soon as possible

ELSPETH LIENS HAD to begin preparing the Langlois Estate for construction as soon as possible. Unfortunately, this meant more paperwork than she had been prepared for.

Blueprints, hiring the right men, budgeting, planning; the better half of her day had been used up merely trying to figure out how big a house should be.

"Hugo, I might be going cross-eyed."

Hugo Laurent let out a soft chuckle, approaching Elspeth as she sunk into the desk, resting her forehead on a stack of paperwork.

"Perhaps you are due for a break."

"I've barely begun."

"It takes more than a day to begin a project this large," Hugo said quietly, "You must eat lunch, anyhow. And Lady Kenna has been requesting your presence since this morning."

Elspeth peered up, met with an expression of concern from Hugo. She sighed, stood, and nodded.

Hugo smiled, opening the door for Elspeth, and following her down the winding corridors.

It was a matter of moments before Kenna found her.

"So, how was Fraser? Still as strict and unmoving as ever?"

Elspeth laughed, turning so the two of them would enter the grand room that most of the nobles living in the castle were occupying. Drinking, games, chatting; it was the epicenter of most of the goings on inside the castle.

"At the start," Elspeth informed, "But, he eventually came around."

Kenna gaped, plopping onto a chaise lounge beside Elspeth.

"Well, did they like Demetre?"

Elspeth grimaced, recounting the story of Scotland, leaving out only the sparse details.

Kenna's face morphed and changed with every new speck of information; she'd gone from anger to sadness to joy in a matter of moments.

"So you'll be returning once the two of you are wed, then?"

Elspeth frowned lightly, clasping Kenna's hands in her own.

"Our business in France is not over quite yet," Elspeth assured gently, "We have many things to take care of, yet. . . but yes. We intend to return to my family's estate. Live as Duke and Duchess."

Kenna twisted her lips to the side, her eyes going watery as she stared at her best friend.

"Oh, I'm so happy for you, Ellie," Kenna breathed out, pulling the woman into a hug, "Hans would be so proud."