³⁰, A HUNTER'S WIFE

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter thirty; A Hunter's Wife
" I hope this is not what you meant when you promised me an adventure all that time ago. "

  TWO MONTHS

  TWO MONTHS. THEY had been traveling and hunting and drifting for two whole months.

  Elspeth had no doubt her family had begun a search, probably casting blame toward both the Scottish and French royalty in the process.

  She wondered if Hans had come back. If Douglas had searched Paris. If Fraser had even heard about it, all the way off in the countryside.

  Elspeth wondered what Kenna had thought. If Francis was worried. If Catherine was looking. 

  She wondered what Demetre had said when he'd been told. If he had been told at all.

  "Does it need to be cooked more?"

  The woman's head snapped up at his voice.

  The only good thing about this time was him. His warmth. His kindness, his strength. His protective nature. His occasional humor.

  She had never been on the road before. Never hunted out of hunger, never slept in shoddy inns or makeshift tents.

  Elspeth had never feared for her life. Not like this. Not for weeks that turned into months. 

  She figured if there was any that would get her through it, it was Sebastian.

  "No, it's alright," She said with a weak smile, looking down at the cooked meat in front of her.

  "I know it might not taste the best," Sebastian said, wiping his hands, "But you have to eat, Darling. Your weight has been dropping, I don't want your health to follow."

  It was true, Elspeth thought as she picked up the food. She'd become thinner in their travels, but it had nothing to do with the taste of the food provided.

  Stress, fear, and running; it had more to do with this.

  Sleep no longer came easy, Elspeth tossed and turned all night wondering if someone was seeking them out. Her stomach had shrunk, no longer wishing for sweets and lavish meals; she hardly wanted crumbs anymore.

  Elspeth took a bite, chewing the food longer than she needed to, before forcing it down her throat and into her stomach. She repeated this action until half of her serving was gone and she was sure she'd be sick from any more.

  Sebastian put a hand on the back of her head, pulling her forward to press a kiss to her forehead before stamping out the small fire.

  He gathered their sparse belongings, passing only a sword to Elspeth who sheathed it upon retrieval.