³³, VERY DIFFERENT MEN

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter thirty-three; Very Different Men
" I would have married you before anyone had the chance to break an engagement. "

  THE FOLLOWING DAYS were a blur

THE FOLLOWING DAYS were a blur. Demetre was Elspeth's shadow, only every two steps behind her. Nostradamus continued to allow Elspeth to assist in Olivia's healing, and once the blonde had regained more of her mind, they discovered more about her story.

She'd been gone for months, ever since the day the castle had been taken, a memory that still sent a shudder down Elspeth's spine. Olivia had escaped into the forest, captured by hunters and peasants, and given to the Darkness.

She told them she'd been fed on, in and out of consciousness-- she hadn't even known how long she'd been missing.

Demetre and Nostradamus spoke in hushed tones about the revelation after the latter agreed that Elspeth should help Olivia bathe and change her worn clothes for fresh ones.

"You must hate me."

Elspeth furrowed her brows as she rounded the tub, kneeling beside it and gently pouring more water through Olivia's matted hair.

"For fleeing that night?" Elspeth questioned, starting to untangle the girl's hair.

"For leaving you, all of you," Olivia said, nervously glancing to her, "It could have been your ruin."

"Catherine saved us," Elspeth said quietly.

They said nothing else as Elspeth worked through her hair until it was a smooth curtain of gold. Elspeth carefully selected gentle soaps; ones without any harsh fragrances, and helped Olivia rid the dirt on her skin.

"You made a mistake," Elspeth finally said, "One because you were scared. I was angry. . . I was terrified."

Olivia shrunk as she spoke.

"That night haunts me, still," Elspeth continued, "On occasion. . . But you have been through Hell, Olivia. If God balances the scales in life, yours were weighted disproportionately to your wrongdoings. Now is not the time to focus on what you could have done. Now is the time to turn away from the past and look forward."

"You are too kind."

"I have been told that before," Elspeth breathed, "I do not believe this is one of those instances."

Elspeth continued, halting when she began helping Olivia clean the dirt on her back.

"What?" Olivia questioned nervously as Elspeth's movements stopped, "What is it?"

"You have a wound here that Nostradamus has not seen to," Elspeth said quietly, staring at a large bump on the girl's back, "It must be infected-- he will have to drain it."

Olivia let out a shaky breath.

"He is the best physician in France," Elspeth assured, "You will be better, Olivia."