Chapter 15

Three Years Later

It is finally the end of their school journey. Kassidy and Arianna made it through without many knowing that they were an item, especially Pastor Jamal who has no clue that Kassidy has been with Arianna this whole time and keeping it a secret has been a challenge. After Kassidy went through her initial shock from Arianna admitting her love, they didn't stop saying it to one another in private or whispering between classes.

They are finally seniors and graduating that evening before heading off to the real world. Arianna has a ring in her hand ready to propose in front of everyone including her mom and Kassidy is doing the same without Arianna knowing, it has been a long time coming but Kassidy didn't want to ruin Prom Night.

Arianna had one thought through her head that their preacher doesn't know that she got away with kissing his daughter and how special it made her feel when they were always together. Rehearsing to walk across the stage multiple times that day wore her out and knowing she would be in heels that evening made her cringe, she hated wearing heels. She knew that this was the only way to get Pastor Jamal's attention that she wanted to marry his daughter and that he wouldn't marry her mom at all.

"Can you believe we will be leaving this school and Maryland forever?" Kassidy said excitedly.

"Art school is only across the country, what could hurt? I am so excited to see what we learn." Arianna replied with a wink at Kassidy.

Kassidy blushed though Arianna could sense her being nervous.

"Looks like nothing as long as we are together." Kassidy responded with still bright red cheeks.

"You got that right, babe. Now let's go grab lunch and enjoy bonding together before our parents arrive to embarrass us and keep us apart. I dread seeing your dad." Arianna complained.

"My dad still has no idea about us and your mom has kept him at arms length since we told her that we were together. Dad isn't going to know." Kassidy replied.

"I'm not going to know what Kassidy Renee?" Jamal said in a growl.

"Um, uh, hi dad! What a surprise of you being here early. Oh, about my, uh, doing something special at the end of the graduation ceremony. Come on, Arianna, let's get out of here." Kassidy grabbed Arianna's hand then Jamal stopped in front of them both.

"I am only going to ask this once and once only, are you lesbian with this girl?" Jamal asked sternly.

Kassidy's jaw dropped as she looked over at Arianna who looked like she could run away. She didn't know how to answer at all and Lisa hadn't arrived yet for the graduation. Kassidy felt panicked and unsettled with the question that was asked. To abort the mission all she could do is lie again.

"No, I plan on having a husband and few kids someday. She's my best friend, we hang out a lot." Kassidy said nervously.

Arianna turned around and walked off while Jamal smiled with a nod then headed towards his spot for the ceremony. Kassidy knew telling him before she proposed to Arianna would ruin everything and she wasn't quite ready for that to happen but she needed to find Arianna before it was too late. Kassidy made her way through the school and into the dorms to where she found Arianna sobbing in tears. Kassidy sat down beside her without saying anything to disturb this moment.

"You could've told him the truth." Arianna whispered through tears.

"I can't quite yet because I have a surprise for you and I want him to see." Kassidy replied, holding on to Arianna.

"I have a surprise for you too but I wanted to wait until after everything but looks like today would be the best." Arianna responded with a bit of confidence and wiping her tears away also cleaning her nose.