Chapter 12

It's the beginning of a new week, School finally got back in Session with the dorms open too after the three months of snow that kept dropping. Kassidy still couldn't believe that she'd been living with the Kirkland's for so long now that she is used to that being home after her dad let her grab things from her old home including pictures of her mom to hang in the Kirkland's home with Lisa's permission and took a few to her dorm room that Arianna helped place on their wall. Kassidy and Arianna did get to draw, watch movies, and anything active that kept them busy during their time off. Kassidy taught Arianna about the teachers and how the school operates on the rules during their spare time when they weren't deep diving into their artwork that they would critique each other on. They're friendship had blossomed into more than best friends within the months that flowed. Lisa didn't mind their bonding but they had to watch it because of Pastor Jamal being overbearing and would take them away from each other.

"Will you ever tell your dad the truth?" Arianna asked.

"Not until I graduate. I know I already live with you and have been for months which is still hard to believe my dad has abandoned me. I have no idea how to tell him without him making matters worse. He already doesn't speak to me, he is infatuated with your mom that it makes me sick, and I don't know what to do." Kassidy sighed heavily with the weight on her shoulders.

"This whole keeping us a secret is very personal because of them and also his religion. He is so homophobic that he can't accept your happiness? Kassidy, we are already girlfriends practically from love at first sight, as wrong as that may be but you have to tell him. You will still live with us since he doesn't want you." Arianna explained.

"We will talk about this more later in our dorm, we better head on to our classes and I will see you at lunch." Kassidy replied as she walked away from Arianna to her next class.

Kassidy knew she shouldn't have avoided the subject with Arianna but right now keeping their status quiet does help some knowing her dad could be on the trail if he found out through rumors or other sources from the school or church. Kassidy loved her dad with all her heart but hated the fact that he was homophobic, transphobic, and much more with the LGBTQ+ Community, she could never understand what they did wrong besides be themselves.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

The first several classes were so boring until lunch rolled around that Kassidy couldn't wait to see Arianna. She couldn't wait for the next half of the day with hopes to end up being better classes. Kassidy saw Arianna hanging out with a few girls that seemed to like her which made her smile and that is when she felt it was okay to grab her lunch through the line. Soon after paying for her lunch, she made her way towards Arianna when she saw Margaret coming her way, and wanted to do anything to avoid her.

"Looks like Arianna doesn't need you to hold her hand through this school anymore." Margaret said in a snobby tone.

"She is allowed to make friends without me." Kassidy replied, rolling her eyes.

"Anyways, forget about her. Let's go enjoy lunch and talk about that long boring break we had." Margaret responded by tugging on Kassidy's elbow.

Kassidy looked over at Arianna when their eyes met. That is when she saw Margaret pulling her in the opposite direction. Kassidy watched as Arianna got up from the table and walked over to both of them.

"Let go of Kassidy, right now." Arianna said.

"What are you going to do if I don't? She was mine first before you came along and stole her from me." Margaret argued, shoving Kassidy down with her tray of food.

Arianna looked down at Kassidy and helped her up, then taking her away from Margaret before she really came out of her shell from hiding the rebel that she was. Kassidy followed Arianna to her table without food then sat down next to Arianna with no food to eat on and that is when Arianna nudged her to see that she split her pizza in half along with her other items including sharing her drink.

"Margaret shouldn't mess with me. I came from Detroit and I could mess her pretty little face up. Eat up, sugar. We got to head to our next class together with someone named Mrs. Beatrice and she seems to be strict from what these girls are saying." Arianna said with a sweet tone.

"Thank you." Kassidy replied, noting that she owes Arianna so much already.

Kassidy couldn't see her life without Arianna as she sat their reminiscing of their whole three month friendship that became best friends and the discussion of being girlfriends is still a major void in her heart that she isn't ready to accept. It was one thing with Margaret because her dad didn't know of Margaret besides being at church and being "friends" only in his eyes. She didn't know how anyone would take them being together since white and blacks don't mix and same-sex is so ashamed. Kassidy didn't know how long she could live in the dark of who she is and waiting until she is eighteen is still a few years off. It was a matter of time before the full truth came out and her father's disappointments reached the end point. All she had at this point was to pray that she and Arianna could keep themselves distant enough without her father knowing how close they really were.