TEN / "I got you, Percy"

CHAPTER TEN
I got you, Percy.

Carl sat himself on the chestnut wooden pew with a thud. He rested on the cold, hard wood as he brought Percy's sweater to his lap. With shaky hands, he clutched the soft, fluffy fabric of the sleeves in his palms. He began to fiddle with one of the sleeves, slowly scrunching it between his fingers as his eyes slowly closed.

Carl brought the sweater up to his chin, relishing in the warmth it radiated. He inhaled deeply, taking in the familiar, comforting scent of Percy. This scent was soothing to him, like a warm blanket on a cold night. He wrapped one arm around the sweater, hugging it tightly as the memory of Percy filled his mind.

Why was this sweater so comforting, he wondered. Was it the scent, the soft and fluffy fabric, or the warmth of it against his skin? Whatever it was, it brought a peacefulness to his heart that he couldn't quite put into words.

The feeling in his stomach was back.
Fuck, this couldn't be good.

"I always took you for a weirdo, but I didn't think you were this weird, Grimes." Percy's voice reached Carl's ear and he could feel he presence as he sat beside him.

Carl almost instantly dropped the sweater to his lap as he snapped his head to him. Carl's demeanor seems a bit nervous as he glances around, looking everywhere but him. "I- No... I wasn't—" He stammered, his brown eyes wondering to the side.

Percy chuckled. "It's alright, Carl." He patted Carl's thigh in a friendly manner. "Jeez, what happened? I've never seen you so jumpy before." Percy softly touched the other boy's hand before narrowing his eyes. "Damn, Grimes." Percy laughed slightly. "Your hands are real sweaty."

Embarrassed by that comment, Carl wipes his hands on his jeans. Blue eyes avoiding Percy's warm ones as he hung his head low.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Percy tilts his head, eyes filled with honest worry.

Carl went to respond when he quickly fell silent as the church doors swung open revealing Sasha, Rick and Tyreese storming in. "Stop." Sasha ordered Gabriel and Jesse who stood side by side. "What are you doing?"

"What are you doing?" She imperiled as she stepped closer to the two. "This is all connected. You and Jesse show up, we're being watched and now three of us are gone."

"I..." Gabriel trailed off as he looked around the chapel. "I don't... We don't have anything to do with this." Sasha brought out her knife, making Gabriel flinch back as he raised his hands in defense. "Wait!" He pleaded, stumbling back as he gripped Jesse's arm.

Percy abruptly stood up. He felt a fire engulf his bones as he whipped out his dagger. "Don't you fucking dare!" Percy screamed as he readied his weapon and aimed about to throw before Carl gripped Percy's wrist and pulled him back, pinning his left arm between his shoulder blades and right to the dip in his waist.

Percy winced as Carl tightened the grip before whispering in Percy's ear: "Shut up and calm down, my dad's got this — No need for you to get yourself hurt." Carl let go from the hold and sat down, pulling his wrist to force his to do the same.

"Don't!" Yelled Rosita — scream echoing as she attempted to grab the dagger, but the plan was quickly fumbled as Abraham gripped her elbows and pulled her towards him, holding her back.