THREE / "I win, bitch!"

CHAPTER THREE
I win, bitch!

The final ray of light from the setting sun was swallowed by the darkness of the night, leaving only the glowing, silver disc of the moon to cast its faint light upon the world below. Carl's chestnut-brown hair gleamed in the moonlight from the open blinds.

⸻ As three boys moved to secure the home, the sounds of their careful movements echoed; The shuffling of a heavy couch across the floor, the low grumblings of Carl, and the faint scratch of a dagger against a stone Percy snatched from outside. "I tied the door shut." Carl spoke in annoyance.

"We don't need to take any chances."

"You don't think it'll hold?"

"Carl."

"It's a strong knot: Clove Hitch!" Carl argued as he leaned against the wall. "Shane taught me. Remember him? I know Percy does."

Carl's words hit Percy's heart like a dagger. For a brief moment, time seemed to come to a complete halt as he stopped sharpening his knife to fixe his tired eyes on Carl with his jaw clenched. Percy's hands gripped the handle of his knife tighter as he glared.

"Yeah, I remember him." Rick said. "I remember him every day — Is there something else you wanna say to me?"

Carl fell silent. Fuckin' finally.

"This'll have to do for the night." Rick muttered, sitting down and reaching into his tote bag as he pulled out a bag of salted crackers.

"You gonna have some?" Carl inquired with an eyebrow raise as he made his makeshift bed on the ground.

"No, you should eat."

"We should save it." Carl spat. Rick tried to hand Carl the bag once more. "I don't want any." He said bluntly. Rick tossed the bag next to Carl.

"Eat it. Now."

Percy would have jumped at the offer of crackers like a starving child. It had been days since he had eaten anything, so the sight of food would have been enough to drive him into a frenzied state, but he was not the intended recipient of Rick's offer.

With a dejected look, Percy turned his head away from the father and son, gently nuzzling his face into the cushion of his makeshift bed on the floor. He closed his eyes, trying to forget about the hunger gnawing at his insides, and soon fell into a deep sleep.

.✧༺♥༻∞.

⸻ Percy awoke to the noises of banging and muffled snarling. Confused and half asleep he almost immediately jolted up from his cushion, his eyes adjusting to the light as his pupils dilate to focus on the familiar figure of a boy in front of him. "Hell, that's blinding. How long was I out?" Percy asked, sitting up.

Carl ignored him — focused on the front door. He grabs his gun and Percy narrows his eyes. "Where are you going?" He squinted.

"Someone's gotta keep those walkers at bay."

"Not without me you're not." Percy stood up and swiftly grabbed his dagger. Carl exhaled in annoyance.