The Boy at the Beach

7:23 P.M.

I put up the last blue glass plate before high-fiving grandma. The kitchen was spotless.

"Guys, I think I'm gonna head out the shore. It's nice out." I called out.

"Alright, be safe!" Grandpa reminded me.

"Oh, baby, don't forget to tell your mother that you reached!" Grandma also reminded.

"I won't!" I said, leaving out the front door.

I'll do it later, I thought to myself. I'm sure she was in no rush to hear about me anyways. I walked to the beach and admired the beautiful sight in front of me. Crystal clear waters met with a beautiful sunset of pink, orange, and yellow hues. I turned on my camera.

"Jenna here! It's my first day in the Outer Banks for the summer, and the beach looks pretty good today." I informed, recording the sight. "I spent most of the day reading with grandpa and gardening with grandma. 10/10, would recommend."

I was in awe at the sight before me.

"I'll see you guys later." I smiled, before shutting the camera off.

I began walking across the shore. I felt the waves hit my ankles as the soles of my feet were met with cool sand. I looked around the island, and I could tell I was getting to the wealthy side of it. Figure 8, as the locals said.

To be quite frank, I didn't understand the hype of the place. It was alright, but this side and the Cut shared the same shore. I didn't really understand the whole socioeconomic divide, it was quite extreme. I didn't understand why people categorized themselves as "Kooks" and "Pogues" and made it a point to not leave their cliques. Here was another reason I was worried about not being able to make friends in the Outer Banks; everyone judged one-another from where they came from instead of who they were. Stupid, I thought. I wasn't sure where I laid on the Kook-Pogue status. I'm sure, if even possible, it was in the middle. My grandparents weren't struggling or poor enough to work three jobs, but they weren't wealthy enough to have three homes. So I was in the middle? Even worse.

The beach was empty today, there was no one to be seen. I turned around to see if the beach was as empty as I thought it was. I walked backwards, looking all around me. Suddenly, I felt myself hit something.

I heard a noise, so I guess it was someone. I turned around to see a boy. He seemed to be my age - 12. He had bright blue eyes and dirty blonde hair. The golden hue made his eyes really stand out. He was wearing blue athletic shorts and a white t-shirt. We were roughly the same height.

"Tourist?" he asked, lifting an eyebrow.

"No." I said. "Sorry, I just wasn't watching where I was going."

"Better than a tourist." he shrugged.

His voice was shaky, and his eyes were red. His cheeks were flushed, and even though he was trying to play it cool, it was pretty clear this kid had just come out of some emotionally stressful situation.

I stared at him for a moment as the waves continued to hit my ankles.

"Are you okay?" I asked him, forgetting the fact he was a complete and utter stranger.