11: Zemo

When we arrived at Bucky's apartment, Steve and I started looking around when we suddenly heard a voice. "I wasn't in Vienna."

I turned around slowly and stared into a pair of blue eyes. "Well, the people who think you did are coming here now. And they're not planning on taking you alive", Steve said.

Bucky looked at me for a second and I could see a thousand thoughts in his eyes. "That's smart. Good strategy."

"This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck," Steve added softly.

"It always ends in a fight."

The door was kicked in and a couple of men rushed in. Bucky grabbed a chair and threw it at them, knocking them to the floor while Steve ran forward and punched a man in the face. I took cover behind a counter, watching the battle from there. I could fight, but not that well yet so I preferred not to get involved.

I saw how Bucky slamed a policeman into the wall. Steve shook his head and sighed. "Buck, stop! You're gonna kill someone."

"I'm not gonna kill anyone." Bucky looked at me and then jumped out of the window, Steve after him. "Damn." I had to catch up with them, but there were still police everywhere in the building and I couldn't jump because it was too high. Steve had his shield and Bucky his arm to roll properly, but I had nothing. After a while the men finally disappeared and I was able to go out to Steve and Bucky. But they were nowhere to be seen. I tried to call Steve and then Bucky, but both times, they didn't pick up.

Luckily, I was successful with Natasha. "Hey Nat. Do you know Steve's location? I can't reach him."

"Connie. I'm so sorry but he, Bucky and Sam were arrested. I'll wirte you the adress."

***

I called a taxi and finally arrived an hour later. Tony, Natasha and a man I didn't know welcomed me. "That's Everett Ross, Deputy Task Force Commander," Tony said.

"Nice to meet you. Where are they?"

Ross looked at me. "With me. I'll give them another chance."

"And Bucky?"

"He's also with me. But unlike your friends, he is locked up."

I pushed a strand of hair out of my face. "I need to talk to him. Please. I think he's innocent."

Ross laughed softly. "Miss, I don't believe that the Winter Soldier is innocent."

I gritted my teeth and stared at him. "It's not his fault. Hydra made him do it."

"I won't discuss with you." With these words, he walked inside the tall building behind him. Natasha gave me an encouraging smile and Tony put his arm around me.

"Come on, kid. Let's go inside."

***

I stared motionlessly at the screen showing Bucky. He was sitting in a cell, tied up and not moving. But then a man came in with a small red notebook in his hand, sat down in front of him and started talking to him. "Hello, Mr. Barnes. I've been sent by the United Nations to evaluate you. Do you mind if I sit? Your first name is James?" His voice sounded familiar, but I didn't know from where. He continued "I'm not here to judge you. I just want to ask you a few questions. Do you know where you are, James? I can't help you if you don't talk to me, James."

"My name is Bucky. There's only one person who is allowed to call me that." A smile formed on my lips because I knew exactly who he meant. "Tell me, Bucky. You've seen a great deal, haven't you?" "I don't want to talk about it."

"You fear that... if you open your mouth, the horrors might never stop. Don't worry. We only have to talk about one." The man started typing on his cell phone.

Then I felt a hand on my shoulder and turned around, startled. "Steve!" I was so happy to see him and hugged him tightly. "Are you okay?"

He nodded smiling. Satisfied, I turned back to the screen, but suddenly it switched off, as did all the other lights in the room. Now I could finally recognize the voice. It was the man called Zemo that I had met at Hydra. Startled, I turned to Steve, but it was no use as it was pitch black. "Steve. We have to get to Bucky. He's in danger." "Okay. But not you, Con. I'm taking Sam with me. Wait here for us."

When the lights came back on, neither Bucky nor Zemo could be seen on the screen.

When Natasha came to me, I had great difficulty holding back the tears. She immediately took me in her arms. "What if they will erase his memory again? What if they make him the Winter Soldier again?", I whispered.

"No. That won't happen. Steve and Sam will find him."

"I can't lose him again. Not after everything that happened. I just can't, Nat."

She stroked my hair gently. "I know, sweetie. Everything will be fine."

"Thank you for supporting me. You're a great friend."

***

When Steve's name appeared on my phone, I almost dropped it in excitement. When he told me that they had found Bucky, I felt my body slowly relax. I quickly made my way to the warehouse where he was hiding with Sam and Bucky.

As I saw Bucky sitting there, my legs began to tremble and I couldn't move.

He was alive. And he looked fine. I blinked and a tear ran down my cheek. Bucky immediately stood up and hugged me tightly. "Doll, hey. Don't cry." He caressed my face with his fingers and kissed me passioantely.

Carefully he wiped my tear away with his thumb and smiled at me. "Never leave me again, okay? Promise."

"I promise."

Suddenly, a blonde woman sneaked into the warehouse and looked around searching. Steve stood up and ran towards her.

We couldn't hear them, but I knew exactly what Steve's look meant. He liked her, very much.

All of a sudden they started kissing and Sam, Bucky and I looked at them grinning. She disappeared again and Steve turned to us with a smile, which immediately disappeared when he saw our looks. Instead, he rolled his eyes and gestured for us to follow him.