Chapter 9: What Lies Ahead

It's been three days since the final assault from Imperial soldiers toward the new world beyond the gate in Saderans camp. But contrary to what happened beyond the gate, in this world the situation is dire.

"Hurry up! Finish the ditch that surrounding the encampment! Don't you dare to take a break before it's finished!"

A purple colored short hair women bark the order. She wore the standard knight armor with flower decoration on it, making her stand out between the others.

"Hoy! Don't slack off! I'll cut your head off if you just sit around! Get back to work!"

She gripped her sword tightly, pointing at anywhere she shouted. Her skin is getting sweaty from unending heat of the sun.

People, a man and woman, had been doing a hard labour to strengthen their fortification on Alnus Hill since the day of the final assault. They brought more wood planks, digging a ditches, laying caltrops, breaking stones, and basically they strengthen their position for the upcoming attack.

The female knight is riding a horse, and she never stand on one place for long. She always move around, overseeing the work. She had lost count on how long she's been out here since the first day. She doesn't even remember when the last time she have a meal.

All of this was done, to prepare for any uncertainty that would come from the gate.

"Beefeater, go get some rest. I'll replace you for a while."

A red haired female knight had come to her, then asked her to have a break. But the response is not what she expected.

"Princess Pina! What are you doing here?! The sun is right above us! Please stay out of this and rest in your tent. Let me handle this part for you."

But Pina shake her head, vigorously.

"No, I don't want to just stay and do nothing. I'm good as new. You've been overseeing the fortification process for 3 days straight! I need you to be in a good shape when who-knows-what from beyond the gate would come here. So, go. Have a break, and for goodness sake, go get some sleep, Beefeater!"

Pina's sudden outburst surely made whatever reason to reject her plea has vanished. She bowed her head then said, "By your will, Your Highness." Then she rode away toward the camp.

Seeing Beefeater had rode herself to the camp, Pina rode herself to overseeing the soldiers. But unlike Beefeater who gave a stern and fierce tone to forced people doing their work, Pina voluntarily joined them to inspire many more soldiers to do their best.

Pina had dismounted from her horse and then joined the soldiers who's digging the ditch. With a bright white armor and flower decorative, Pina successfully dirtied her pretty armor. But that was none of her problem for now.

Because the only thing in her mind, is to defend the Alnus Hill from whatever managed to defeat the more than 100.000 Imperial soldiers in mere hours.

Seeing the princess herself had join them to do the dirty work, many of other soldiers felt embarassed yet admire on how determined she is. The sight had made a huge impact and successfully drive these remaining soldiers to build a strong defensive position.

The work is still going until the sun has setting down, and darkness had wrapped the sky. There is no moon and stars, only dark cloud and strong wind followed with a heavy rain.

The storm had halted the process of fortification, but for soldiers and engineer among them, it's finally a time to take a break. Although the break time is filled with terror by strong wind and loud thunder across the sky.