The Deal

Him

"Yeah, a deal," I say to her. I take the seat across the table from her. I don't have any devices in here since this is a private offer.

"What kind of deal? Because I do have lines I won't cross" Aurora says. I can only explain her looks in a handful of words. Tired, restless and not to mention scared. Of what? I hope I find out.

"The evidence found on you from two weeks ago is plagiarized." Preparing for any anger I kept my eyes on the files in front of me.

"What?!" Her left eye practically twitching. "You mean to tell me that the evidence I told YOU was fae. turned out to be actually fake. And you are barely finding out. I could seriously rip out your eyeballs right now!" She has definitely lost herself here.

"Well, a lot of investigation had to go into it which is why it took us so long. But now we are trying to make up for it" I say meeting her eyes. If I thought they were dark before then I don't want to see them now. "The FBI is offering a deal that helps us out and as well helps you out."

She won't say a word, instead just sits there with her jaw locked and eyes dark. It is somewhat intimidating seeing how still she can stay. How long she can hold eye contact, those eyes that can stop time and mesmerize you.

I broke eye contact first and cleared my throat.

"The deal is that we get you out of here, privately/secretly, the reason is that we need you to work with us undercover. We will help you find out who framed you and you will help us catch the people who did break into the banks and the bank's security since there is reason to believe all these people are connected. And you are currently our biggest lead to this case." I told her while shuffling papers and making as little eye contact as possible. I am usually a very confident guy who doesn't care about other's opinions or how they see me, but her. She has a way of making something inside feel weird. Her usual games don't work on me, but this does not feel like a game.

"What makes you think I will work with pigs like you."

And just like that whatever feeling is gone, "You seem to want to work with Johnson without any type of persuasion."

"Oh, I wanna work with Johnson but maybe just not the same way you wanna work with me." now she has a smirk.

"Johnson is a crook and a pig. You will be working with the FBI, we won't sexualize you like the creep." I say through my teeth.

"I think Johnson is a great cop," she says with a slight shiver.

"I think you're lying."

"I think I'm not."

"I think Johnson is going to be reported." frustration starting to build up again.

"Oh, you're so dramatic relax a little." rolling her eyes as she spoke. 

"The deal Aurora, I need an answer" reaching my breaking point.

"Wait, you seem sort of desperate for the answer, I like it." great she is smirking now.

"Great for you, I need to file paperwork for this so the sooner the better"

"Hmm and when you say us does that mean the FBI? As in your handsome friend Grant."

I am so close to giving up on this case, "By us, I mean mostly me. Since it is an undercover case, not many people would be on it." I could see something spark in her eyes.

"Wait! So it would only be me and you." full smile on her face now.

I give her a nod.

"See I was right you are desperate for my answer."

"If you are going to refuse just say so, that way I can move on with more of the case."

She sits there staring at me, thinking for a bit before answering, "OK, I'll work with you but I want you to say it."

"Say what?" I say genuinely confused.

"That you lost, that I was innocent, and that you NEED me to work with you."

She pushes my limits every time I have a conversation with her. But I need to stay on this case. "You have been found innocent Aurora," she looks at me waiting for me to go on, "My team," she raises an eyebrow, "and I need your help on this case." I don't say the rest hoping she'll let go.

"Good enough but I do need that last part if you want me to cooperate with you."

Pinching the bridge of my nose I continue, "I lost" saying it almost as a whisper then sliding the contract towards her.

She grabs the pen and reads the contract to confirm it is what I told her. "Oh this could easily be one of the best days of my life." smiling now, and that was when I noticed some cuts on her face. After signing, "Quick question, how soon will I be getting out of here?"

"Once I get back to the office I will turn these papers in and it should take no longer than three hours before you can be released," I say now taking back the contract and organizing the files getting ready to head out.

"No one knows right? Or can know?" something is off from her usual self when she says this.

"Right nobody other than me and my team and now you. You also can't tell anyone since it is a private case." I look at her and see some relief from hearing that.

"Don't be a douche but please don't make it obvious that I'm leaving here." Her eyes looking at me now and no indication that she is joking.

Please she said please. This made me observe her more to see if there was anything I was not catching up on. Bruises around her arms and neck. She was getting beat up in here. I'm not surprised this is how regular prisoners act with newbies. If they found out she was getting out, it would only get worse from here.

"I won't let them know you're getting out, Aurora"

She just gave me a small nod before putting on her usual expressionless face.