8

January 22, 1944

It had been a a couple of months since Bucky left me at this place and I'm truly doing okay. Now I have been getting letters from Bucky.

He was somewhere apparently in a camp with other American soldier's. The other girls and boys were very nice and the food was okay.

He wrote about how Buck kept getting letters from Marge almost every month.

It was freezing in Poland and half the time I was in the living room either reading for trying to write a letter to Bucky.

The key word was 'trying' because I couldn't think of anything to say. The boys here were always playing outside.

Mrs. Carlsen was clearing the table when she finally came over. "Margaret you've been there all day what are you waiting for?"

Then she said something else "for your Major to keep writing to you" I made a face at her.

"Honestly girl just write him, by some point his going to stop writing to you"

"Okay," I said. By the time I said that the boys came in from the cold. There was 2 boys and 2 girls including myself.

They were good company but I missed having Bucky around. After dinner I helped Mrs. Carlsen wash dishes.

"Have you wrote him yet," she asked. "No but I plan too" "Oh for heavens girl let me take the dish you go write back," she sounded so stern about it.

I walked back to the living room. The paper was just sitting there waiting for me to start.

"Oh my god I can't believe I'm writing," I said to myself. I picked up the pencil and began writing

Dear Bucky,
Thank you so much for writing these past few months. I'm sorry I haven't been writing at all. I'm still in the same place you left me. Mrs. Carlsen is nice she even made me write this letter to you.
The boys are silly always getting in trouble. They spend lots of time outside where it's freezing. The other girl in the house is Jane. She's really fancy, she came from a fancy household. I heard her father paid lots of money for her to be here.
How are you Bucky? I know you're in a camp right now that's probably filled with guys but at least you're not by yourself. I kinda miss our time together exploring the world.
Anyway I'm heading to bed night Bucky.
From Margaret

Later that night I put in an envelope and put the address to where the camp was. Mrs. Carlsen went to send it in the morning.

I just had to wait and see if he would respond.