Rain

Kavya

Manya and I were seated in our college canteen, relishing our first day as MS students after completing our postings as junior residents at the hospital.

"When is your driver arriving?" Manya inquired. "It feels like we've been waiting for 30 minutes already."

"It's quite a chaotic situation," I lamented. "My father won't allow me to have a car here, and the driver never arrives on time. It's not the driver's fault; it's Charan bhaiya who consistently fails to inform him of the correct pickup time. If I try to call him multiple times, he ends up yelling at me. Life's tough, bro."

"Just move out," she suggested.

"Nah, if I do that, I'll have to cover all my expenses, cook for myself, and take care of all the household chores," I replied. "I'm content living with my family members. Everyone treats me well, so it's not a big problem."

"What's on your mind? Your eyes have been wandering for almost half an hour," she said, smirking. "He won't be here; he'll be in the medicine department. Stop looking for him here."

"Alright, you caught me," I replied, giggling.

"And I don't have the courage to just barge into the medicine department without a valid reason," I added.

At that moment, my phone rang—it was my driver.

"Looks like I'll have to go," I said regretfully.

"Yeah, bye," Manya replied, waving her hand.

For five days, the routine persisted without any chance to encounter him, despite us being in the same building on the same floor. It felt as if he were absent; perhaps he was on leave.

At 5 in the evening, after returning from assisting in a delivery at the OPD building, heavy rain began to fall. I needed to leave because it was closing time for the OPD and my driver would arrive soon. Exiting through the staff-only back door that led to the OT building, where I also needed to meet Manya, a junior resident in the surgery department, I was greeted by a familiar figure as I stepped outside. 

Shreyas

After completing my first-year PG exams, I had some time before the second year began, so Rakshit, Amrit, and I decided to visit Himachal Pradesh for a 15-day trip. On the day we arrived, we received notice that the second year would start in 10 days. Despite this, we were determined to enjoy our trip and decided not to return until it was over. The trip was not the only thing I did; I also visited my home in Hyderabad for a week before embarking on our adventure.

After the trip, despite being tired, I had to return to Lucknow within a day because I needed to start at the hospital. After completing a long day at the hospital, I called Rakshit to see if he was coming home, as we were flatmates. However, his phone was switched off. Maybe he was in surgery. So, I decided to visit his department. As I headed towards the backdoor of the OPD, I realized it was raining heavily. The OT building was just 50 meters from the OPD building, but the rain was so intense that stepping outside would leave me completely drenched. 

II was waiting for the rain to slow down a bit or for Rakshit to pick up my call, but neither was happening, adding to my frustration. Five minutes passed as I stood there, listening to footsteps approaching from behind.

"It's raining heavily," a feminine voice said, making me turn around.