The Truth

For the next few months, Kakashi and Tobi would meet up at Rin's grave and just talk about random things, like they had been friends for their whole lives.
On one ordinary day, Kakashi went out to visit Rin's grave with hopes of meeting his friend once again.
Moments later, Tobi appeared beside him in silence. They were much quieter that day and just stared up at the sunset from the grassy hill overlooking some of Konoha.
“Kakashi, there is something I must tell you that I've been yearning to say for a while now,” Tobi informed after a moment of peaceful silence.
“Hm?” Kakashi replied, gesturing for him to proceed with what he was going to say.
“My name isn’t Tobi,” he said abruptly.
Kakashi gave him a side glance. "Well, that is expected in the ninja world; I shouldn't be surprised,” Kakashi said, hiding his shock.
Tobi placed a hand on his mask and slowly removed it to reveal his face.
At first, Kakashi did not recognize him, but when he did, his eyes widened and his jaw hit the ground.
“Obito!” he shouted, unleashing his shock and surprise.
Obito nods his head.
“How are you alive?” Kakashi asks.
“I’m alive 'cause I never died,” Obito replied, seemingly avoiding his question.
Kakashi deadpanned.
“Do you hate me?” he asked quietly, with sadness relevant to his tone and a slightly stern expression plastered on his face.
Obito shook his head. “My answer remains the same; as I said before, since the day we met in the graveyard, I’ve already learned to forgive," Obito replied, lying back in the grass.
“Then why didn’t you come sooner?” Kakashi asked.
“I came as soon as I could. I also have my reasons,” Obito replied, once again trying to avoid that question.
“And 18 years later is the soonest you could return?” Kakashi sighed.
"Haha, yeah, sorry,” Obito laughed sheepishly.
“I'm assuming that if you cannot return to our village, then you are probably a rogue ninja,” Kakashi assumed.
"Yeah, I'm sorry, Kakashi. The truth is, I hated myself for coming late when you and Rin needed me. It wasn't your fault; it was mine. After I had already committed so many sins, it was too late to turn back, so here I am now,” Obito said in a brief explanation.
“It's fine; as long as you don't attack Konoha, we can still be friends,” Kakashi said.
Obito nods hesitantly.
“I was also the mastermind behind the nine-tails attack all those years ago,” Obito muttered more silently, and Kakashi barely heard.
“So it was my fault as well since I was the one that killed Rin in the first place, but why are you telling me this?” Kakashi sighed.
“I felt that I needed to tell you and that it was not your fault. I must go now. Kakashi, the sun will set soon, but I will see you around, "Obito said, standing up.
"Wait, Obito, can you take me with you? I don't belong here; in fact, I hate it here, "Kakashi exclaimed.
“So then you're lying about not wanting me to attack Konoha,” Obito said with a smug smile pulling at his lips.
“I couldn't care less, '' Kakashi reassured.
“If you want, but there is no turning back after you betray the leaf,” Obito said.
“Who said I would betray it? I'll pretend to go missing like you, and I know I'll never look back, '' Kakashi promised.
“Very well, you can be the newest addition to the Akatsuki,” Obito informed.
Obito was also in the Akatsuki; it seemed not surprising for a shinobi of his caliber.
“Call me Tobi around the other members all right and on missions. "Only when we are together in our free time alone can you call me Obito; Tobi is still better in case someone is eavesdropping,” Obito explained.
Kakashi nods and takes Obito's outstretched hand, the two disappearing in a vortex.
10 months pass, and Kakashi, under Obito's tutelage, has become extraordinarily skilled with the Sharingan.
After Obito's partner, Deidara, dies, Kakashi takes his place and hunts down tailed beasts alongside Obito.
Kakashi is truly happier free from the village and belongs more as the predator hunting the prey...