Part 54 - Killers

My paws padded softly as I followed my uncle through the trees. His scent was everywhere, as if he trampled every plant, brushed against every bush, daring me to follow. Eyes glinted in the dark. His eyes. I pounced, but he ran off. I snapped at the grass in frustration.

"Come back here," I barked.

Did wolves understand each other? Did he know it was me, or did he think I was just a stray wolf passing through?The forest deepened, crowding me, blotting out the sky. Branches creaked in the breeze. I walked slowly, ears twitching, taking in the trill of insects, the rustle of field mice. My uncle darted across my path. I tore after him, but lost him in the trees. Nose to the ground, I squeezed between the narrow trunks.

Again, he streaked past and disappeared. Like this was a game. Only I wasn't playing. I needed answers. He was a werewolf. I was a werewolf. It couldn't be a coincidence. But as before, he was holding out on me. I felt his eyes on my back, heard his laughter on the wind, and I never hated him more than at that moment.

I tracked him through the night. Twice more, I saw his golden eyes shining from the brush. Twice more, he bounded out at me. But I never caught him. He was better at being a wolf than I was.

The wind shifted. I lifted my nose and caught a whiff of horses. Stables were nearby. I also smelled wolves. Three wolves had passed not too long ago.

Uncle Bob shot from the brush. He nipped my ear before darting away. I growled, giving chase. Didn't he smell the wolves? Something was wrong. I had a sense of danger. I wanted to warn him but lost him again.

I slowed to a trot. A warm gust of wind ruffled my fur. Blood scent. A lot of blood. With my head low, I crept forward, keeping to the trees. I saw a clearing and a fence with a horse pasture beyond. I froze.

In a patch of moonlight lay a woman. Her stomach was ripped open, and her insides were outside, strewn over the darkening grass. She hadn't been there long. I should have been horrified. Perhaps part of me was. But a larger part felt only relief. My uncle wasn't the killer. He couldn't be. He was with me playing his stupid game of hide-and-seek.

I cocked my head and wondered what to do, if I should do anything at all. There was a rifle beside her. I hadn't heard a shot. She must not have had time to use it. Suddenly, something large dove at me. Uncle Bob knocked me over and held me with a heavy paw, his teeth at my neck.

Was he threatening me? I could have fought him off. I started to.

But through the trees, I saw three wolves walking along the fence. They had stumpy yellow tails. Werewolves. Blood drenched their coats. These were the true killers. Worse yet, I recognized their scents. They were the intruders who were prowling around Brittany's yard.

They threatened Brittany.

I wanted to leap out of the trees and challenge them. But part of me, my human part, saw the danger. If I fell here, there would be no one to protect her. Fortunately, we were downwind. The trio continued walking, unaware of us. The leader seemed agitated. He spun on his followers, snarling, and bit the she-wolf hard enough to draw a yelp and a whine. All three moved quicker after that.

When they were out of sight, Uncle Bob let me up. He nipped my ear and ran in the opposite direction. I followed. I couldn't help feeling it was wrong. We were leaving a dead woman. But I couldn't help her, couldn't report the crime. All I could do was run.