Part 50 - Alligator

We came out from beneath a group of low-hanging trees. The boy was across the clearing, fighting through thigh-high water. I grinned, tongue lolling, mentally patting myself on the back. I watched him for a moment, charting the driest course to his side, when I caught movement behind him. Something swift and as black as the water.

An alligator.

Barking and growling, I charged down the pond's edge. The boy turned to look, lost his balance, and went under. Behind me, Brittany screamed. I hoped she had the good sense to stay out of the water.

Because I didn't.

I jumped in and angled for the boy. He came up waving his arms. The gator latched onto his jacket. With its mighty tail swishing, it towed him toward the deeps. I clambered onto its snout and attacked its eyes. The thing rolled over, knocking me off.

The boy fell backward. He grappled with me, trying to get his head above water. I felt a pop, and whatever had been choking my neck disappeared. The boy coughed and sputtered.

"Give me your hand," Brittany yelled to him.

The gator rolled again, and I pounced on its belly, getting my teeth around its throat. It was like biting a rock. My fangs didn't penetrate at all.

It wouldn't release the boy in its grasp. The twisting jacket tightened, but he managed to shrug out of it and wade for shore. The gator righted itself, throwing me into the water. It snapped at the empty jacket.

Then it came after me.

Brittany screamed, "Cody!"

For a moment, all I saw was teeth. I leaped onto the beast's back, chomping down on its nose. This time, I tasted blood. The gator dove, but the water was shallow. I didn't let go. My hind legs kicked and dug at its eyes. It lifted up, tossing me into the air. I landed hard and heaved myself onto the bank. With a snort, I shook the moisture from my fur.

Brittany stood a short distance away, clutching her brother. She looked terrified. I took a step toward her when something hit like a battering ram square in my ribs. I rolled and spun in time to see the gator come at me again. It sprinted on land like a horse, hind legs gathering beneath it, the armored snout like a lance.

It struck low and flipped me. The sinewy tail sliced across my face. I lay on my side, dazed. It turned to make another pass when Brittany appeared behind it, bashing its head with a club.

It reared back, mouth open. She hit it hard enough to loosen a few teeth. The jaws snapped. She dodged and swung again. The massive animal clamped down on the club. She tried to pull free, but the gator adjusted its hold, drawing the wood deeper into its mouth.

She used the club to push the creature back toward the pond. The thing was heavy, and she had to lean into it. The gator bit the wood again. More than half of the club was in its mouth, drawing her fingers nearer. Perhaps she realized that at the same moment I did, because her expression changed.

I jumped up and barked at her. Run away, Brittany. Run so I can run.

She dropped the club and scrambled backward. The gator roared, snapping at her around the chunk of wood in its mouth. I pounced and dropped my full weight upon its head, ramming the club down its throat. Hot blood bubbled from its nostrils. Its tail lashed. I stepped onto the bank, growling, ready for another round. But the gator withdrew, leaving only splintered wood and a few teeth.

Brittany threw her arms about me and buried her face in my coat. Behind her, the boy clutched her jacket around his shoulders, shivering violently.

"You called him Cody," he said.

She wiped her eyes. "I named him after my boyfriend. Kind of a joke."