Part 37 - The Other Wolf

Brittany's hands flew to her mouth. Our eyes met. The shock of seeing her momentarily stopped my transformation. I stood there with my muzzle half-elongated, drool dripping from my fangs, and knew how she must see me. A monster. A sideshow freak.

Then I realized I was naked.

Oh, crap.

I tried to shout, "Don't look at me," but it sounded like a dog with a bone caught in its throat.

Panic and shame rose like engulfing fire. I ran for the tree line. My legs shifted, and I fell on my face. I scrambled on all fours. Brittany didn't move. She looked afraid, which was worse than having her angry.

All thoughts of revenge and of finding Eff at the party left me. I wanted to cry. How could I face her again? How could I go to school?

Head bowed, I walked away. This was the worst day of my life, worse than when my parents kicked me out, worse even than when Brittany found me beaten in the trees. There was no way to fix my life. I had no life. I was the amazing wolf boy.

Grass grew tall around me. Its saw-toothed edges dragged at my fur. Muck sucked my paws. I realized with a start I'd left the woods and ventured into swampland.

I also realized another wolf tailed me. The thought brought more confusion than alarm. There weren't supposed to be wolves in Florida. I looked it up. Yet I'd come across the scents of several wolves in the few months I'd lived here.

Ahead, a pond stretched into darkness. Moonlight shimmered over its still surface. I lay on its bank, paws over my muzzle. What was I going to do?

The other wolf sat a short distance away. He watched me. I almost wished he would start a fight. I wouldn't raise a paw to stop him. After a while, he moved forward, skirting the edge of the pond. My ears twitched, but I didn't lift my head.

Without warning, the wolf pounced into the water, coming up with a fish flapping in his jaws. He dropped it at my side, held my gaze for a moment, and trotted away.

I watched him leave. Was this was some strange ritual among wolves? Perhaps he was welcoming me into his territory.

The fish stirred and gasped. I nuzzled it until it flopped into the water. I watched the pond for hours, but it never resurfaced.

In the early hours of morning, I made my way back to my hidden courtyard. Brittany was gone, of course. But my clothes were folded neatly on top of my shoes to keep them out of the dew.