CHAPTER 15

Sometimes a minor incident in the eyes of the beholder had the ability to induce gut-wrenching pain for another

Sometimes a minor incident in the eyes of the beholder had the ability to induce gut-wrenching pain for another. And the guilt that follows along becomes a heavy burden to carry.

In the bathroom, Sieun studied the girl in the mirror, and the sight of her disgusted her. Selfish, she accused, her grip on the counter's edge knuckle-white. Immoral. Opportunist. She had always known about the bullying, yet the only time she stood up for Yun-Seo was when she needed an outlet for her emotions. She couldn't digest this hypocrisy. She couldn't even blame it on her circumstances; her morality wouldn't let her. She was better than that.

But how to navigate the onslaught of guilt and regret induced by an incident of the past?

How to take accountability for her actions and move on?

That incident, despite the passage of time, will forever invade her subconscious mind⸻ a tortured soul in her nightmares.

Her lips pursed.

Sieun was lost, miserable, and grumpy. She blamed the lack of sleep and that unwarranted dream. She blamed Renjuns's one-eighty-degree change in attitude and the project for her turbulent emotions. She blamed the universe for turning her into the worst version of herself.

Sporadic knocks echoed through the walls of the bathroom. Renjun, his voice soft and unsure, called out to her. 

"Sieun," he said, and she choked on a shuddered inhalation. "Are you alright?"

"Yes." She wasn't okay. Pain and guilt sat on her throat like an overripe fruit left for too long in the bowl, the pungent smell ambushing her eyes with a sheen of tears. "I'm good."

Silence ensued for a good two seconds before Renjun whispered, "Can you open the door, please?"

Sieun lowered her eyes to the sink. "Why?"

Silence. Again.

"Why should I open the door, Renjun?" She probed, but he said nothing. 

"Can you please feed Eui?" She said, blinking back tears when he said nothing. "I'll be out in a minute. I'm just⸻I don't know. Or you can just prepare the baby food. I'll feed her once I'm done here. I shouldn't let you care for her alone. I⸻"

"I'm sorry."

Her eyebrows shot up in surprise. "What?"

"I upset you," His awkwardness was wrapping, wafting through the small gap between the door and the floor to reach her. "I'm sorry."

Sieun's spine lengthened. "You did not upset me, Renjun."

"Don't lie," He accused. Something hit the door and the bang reverberated loudly, causing her to frown in concern. "Why am I like this?"

"What do you mean?" She asked, suddenly nervous and on guard.

"My communication skills are subpar. I end up saying things I don't mean." Another bang. "I called you a walking biohazard on our first day as partners, for God's sake."