CHAPTER 11

"Move in with me

"Move in with me."

Expressionless marred Sieun's features the instant the words left his mouth, her long lashes fluttering rapidly over her slightly pink-tinted cheeks. The rising and falling of her chest was subtle, as though her heart had paused along with her brain; he could literally discern the clogs in her head coming to a stop. 

However, it was the silence for Renjun that sent him over the edge. The stillness under the scanty moonlight was an awkwardly painful situation he hadn't anticipated of finding himself that night. Or any other night, to be honest. But with the prospect of a failing grade, despite his no fucks given attitude, latching onto Sieun seemed the only possible way of prevailing.

"One week," he said. "Let me shadow you for one week before we set up an independent schedule." Sieun was wordless. "Please, Sieun. I need help."

And he did. Childcare was a field he lacked experience in, and after the night's shenanigans, he was sure to fail without her help. 

The clogs in Sieun's head finally started to turn again. "So..." Yet, she didn't know how to frame her words correctly. "You want me to help you settle down with Eui?" 

Renjun nodded his head. 

"By staying at your place?"

He nodded again.

"For a week?"

Sieun's choice of phrasing made him wince. It sounded unreasonable. It was unreasonable. However, he couldn't find a way around his problems other than her. 

"Yes," he said, a hint of desperation leaking in his intonation, and he inwardly cursed himself for letting his emotions slip. Again.

Sieun tightened her hold on Eui. "I'm not sure..."

Renjun inched closer, towering over her with pleading eyes, and a shiver raced down her spine. "Please, Sieun. Just for a week." His fingers circled her free wrist. "Help me learn the basics and I promise I'll be at your beck and call for the entirety of the project—" Close. He was too close. And the minimal distance had her brain clogs slowing down. "I don't even know how to make a fucking bottle. I watched a YouTube tutorial and still managed to fuck it up. Sieun, I—"

That answered the how churning inside her mind. Only if her heart would take the cue now and stop heaving at an irregular rhythm. 

"Renjun, wait—" Sieun twisted her wrist to get her hand out of his hold. "You need to let go." 

But her partner wasn't listening. 

"I know it sounds unreasonable. You might even find it a burden. However, I honestly don't think I'm ready to take on Eui by myself. She might be a doll and all, but—" With every word rambling out of his mouth, the distance between them only got smaller and smaller until he was up at her face, a sleeping Eui crushed between their bodies the only obstacle keeping them apart.