CHAPTER 9

Sieun entered the dorm room and slumped against the closed door, the backpack landing on the floor

Sieun entered the dorm room and slumped against the closed door, the backpack landing on the floor. A mixture of rose and bergamot wafted in the air, and she sniffed, instantly relaxing in the familiar scent of her roommate's shampoo. 

Home sweet home.

Kicking off the trainers off her feet, she beelined the comfortable single bed, falling face-first. She buried herself on the floral cushion and grumbled the list of inadequacies in her life: inadequate sleep, inadequate food, inadequate time, and most of all— blindly reaching for her phone, she extracted it from her back pocket and signed into online banking— inadequate funds.

"Fuck it," She groaned and tossed it aside.

Growing up in an average household with enough money to put a balanced meal on the dinner table, Sieun never complained about missing out on a trip to the sandy beaches of Votmer or the evergreen ranges of Mount Verde. She never threw a fit over a Sunday visit to the zoo or a fun day at the amusement park. Her parents comprised her whole world, and their little breakfast banters and occasional pizza nights by the TV filled her heart with enough contentment to last a lifetime. She had it all— loving parents, good friends, a happy life— before her father brought home Chanmi.

Sieun still vividly remembered the day when her world turned upside down two years ago. It was Halloween Night. The zombie decorations reflected the lights dangling around the living room and the smell of sugar candy wafted through the air. Tucked in her favorite pair of pajamas, she sprawled on the worn-out couch, letting her mother's mellifluous songs replace the stress and anxiety of approaching CSAT when the main door squeaked open. 

Her father had returned home from a three-day business trip. 

Only, he was not alone.

Bundled up in a layer of baby blankets to keep out the slight chill of October, little Chanmi, barely ten days old, lay warm and cozy in the folds of her father's arms. Long, dark lashes fanned out towards her chubby cheeks, and cherubic lips slightly parted. Her eyes were closed, but they were brown, the exactness of Sieun's and their father's, and she had straight black hair, and a beautiful warm tone that she had inherited from her mother.

Life's unexpectancies, such as premature death, could happen to anyone. But what of the arrival of a new life? 

Sieun could not, for the life of her, comprehend the concept. No, she was not ready. 

Not for her father's infidelity. 

Not for her mother's heartbreak. 

Not for a half-sister she never knew she had.

But tragedies seemed to come in waves. 

A month after the arrival of Chanmi, Sieun's mother passed away from heartbreak. And her death changed the trajectory of her life. 

Sieun didn't remember the moments after the funeral. It was one big blur. She remembered the anger she felt for her father, though. She was so angry. Devastated. Miserable.