[𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐭𝐰𝐨]

...

"I mean, who says that, you know?" said Lucy. "That your child was born fucked in the head."

She was with Fez in the store, stocking gum under the counter. Fez shook his head in disgust. "Some parents, man," he said. "I mean, even if it's true-"

"Fez!" Lucy cried. "What the fuck?"

"I'm not saying it is!" said Fez, putting up his hands in defense. "I'm just saying if it was, it's not something you say to your kid."

She shook her head and shoved a pack of mint gum into her pocket before shelving the rest. "And the worst part is she meant it. She fully meant it. Plus she called me a cunt."

"Now that's fucked up."

"Why is that 'fucked up' but me being born fucked in the head 'might be true?"

Fez chuckled and sat on the counter, letting Lucy finish up the job. "That's not what I said, Luce. Bottom line is a parent shouldn't talk to their kid that way."

Lucy finished up with the gum and jumped onto the counter next to him. "Do you think my mom was the reason my dad left?"

There was a beat of silence while Fez thought, running his fingers through his buzzed hair. "I don't know enough about your family to know that. But I do know taking off with only one kid isn't the answer. I don't think that was your mom's fault."

This made Lucy feel a little better. She sighed and let her head rest against Fez's shoulder. "You going to Lexi's play?"

"Hell yeah, I am," he said. "She's told me all about it. Apparently it might upset some people."

Lucy scrunched up her nose. "Yeah, Lexi's not really the type to upset people. She's pretty harmless."

"I don't know about that," said Fez. "She's a sweetheart, but this play... You'll see."

"So are you guys, like, together?"

Fez looked down at her with an incredulous sort of smile. "Everyone's so wrapped up in who's with who, what if I just wanna get to know a girl first."

"Fez," said Lucy, returning the look. "You guys are on the phone constantly. Ashtray was just telling me about all your back and forth 'Are you glad you met me?' 'I'm glad I met you' shit. C'mon, just ask her out."

He looked away. "Will you cut that shit out? I'm about to put Ash in the other room when I'm on the phone. But no... I'm kinda planning on doing that tomorrow night at the play."