Part IV

Michael trudged along the woods, hoping that he wouldn't run into anybody else. He had enough with human interaction. And who the hell is Will Byers? Michael had never heard of such a name before. He noticed a sign out of the corner of his eye, and turned to look at it.

Leaving Hawkins, Indiana

He stared. How did he get to Hawkins? Had he wandered that far off after the fire?
"Hm," he muttered. "No wonder I don't know who Will Byers is."

He stood there some more, contemplating whether or not he should go home or stay in Hawkins- he desperately wanted to go home, back to Hurricane, but he had this nagging feeling that his siblings were here, in Hawkins.
Maybe William is here too, Michael thought. He was fully aware of his father's activities and thoroughly despised him for it, but a part of him still believed that their bond was still there, and Michael found himself stupidly hoping that William could be the father he once was.

Don't be bloody ridiculous, he scolded himself. He's been this way since you were ten.

Michael decided to stay in Hawkins- at least if his siblings weren't here, maybe he could assist in finding Will or something of the sort.

If anyone would trust him, that is.

Walking back into Hawkins through the woods, Michael felt a sense of dread. Something was definitely off about this town- but before he could think of anything else, he felt someone- or something- watching him. Grabbing the knife that was hidden on the inside of his leg, Michael turned around.

There was nothing there.

Then, out of nowhere, a creature- barely taller than Michael, with almost a flower-like head shape and several rows of teeth- lunged at him, its face snapping wildly. He stabbed the center of its flower-like mouth without thinking. It screeched in pain, and he used that time to push it to the ground and stab it again- this time in its side.

Michael did this several times, each penetration adding to the oily black blood splatters on his clothing, face, and the forest floor.

Trying to catch his breath was proven to be significantly more difficult without lungs. Leaning against a tree for support, he observed the creature- it looked like something straight out of Dungeons and Dragons, a game he often played as a child.

What the fuck, he thought, before passing out.

There was a scream in the distance.