Chapter 22: A unteachable lesson

The room is filled with mutters at the mention of quicksilver. "May I ask why?" Tosa smiled at Wales before speaking. "Well quicksilver can peirce a kansen like a human with normal ammunion." The room is silent shocked and captivated by the words. "It also works on sirens." "How can you be so sure?" Interjected Belfast. "simple I use them on sirens. I developed them. You've seen the state of my ship, My cannons are useless. But I am not harmless." she smiles at the maid.

"I see. If you developed these I should also assume you know how to make them?" Tosa smiled before frowning. "yes but it is also dangerous to the user." "How so?" "Well, Wales quicksilver or mercury is a toxic metal—a poison in high enough amounts. Many believed it to extend life, but they were wrong. Oh so wrong."

She coughed her body wracked in pain. It subsides with crimson red dripping down her lip. She touches it and looks at it with a sigh. "I'm not long for this world. especially in my ships current state." She looks around slightly at the small crowd around her: concern and a sense of melancholy drifting over them. "take this" Belfast hands her a handkerchief which she takes. "Thank you Belfast." Her voice had shifted from the strong confidence they knew to a much weaker broken tone.

Rousha stood up and hugged her shaking heavily. Wales took that as a cue to end the discussion for now. "Ok, everyone. Please leave we will be discussing further later." There was a silent agreement as they started to file out.

Tosa gently stroked her daughter's head as she hugged back. "She seems to look a lot like kaga." "I know wales." "May I ask something?" "If you wish." "Her father. Is he alive or?" "No he died in the crash." "....I see. I apologize if tha-" "stop. It's none of your worry. You weren't even built yet." "....sorry."

Tosa watched Wales for a moment. "You know I recall your Launching ceremony." "You were there?" "Indeed. Japan might be an island but you can still get in and out if you know your way." "I see."  Rousha by now has fallen asleep against Tosa. "It's good to see. Rousha having something to lean on." "How so?" "Rousha has been well running into... basically what she counts as daughters." "Ships she built?" Wales nods slightly. "Ah, I see I guess some Take in stride more so in a sisterly way while others are more offput by this." "Yes quite. it's been something. The destroyers tend to take it well. Sometimes a little overzealous." "Oh. How so?" "Well if it's one of the smaller calmer classes it's easier, but well apparently she built a few of the Fletcher class, and well." "They all went Mom and tackled her?" Nods a small smile on her face. "Well at least it sounds like shes found some form of family. Even if its not quite the usual." Tosa smiles before she tries to get up. Only to be locked in place by Rousha. "Ah, seems I'm stuck." "If you want. I can shut the lights off and leave." "thank you it is getting dark, and I don't think I'm moving her anytime soon."

Wales nods and does so shutting off the lights and leaving. Tosa stared into the darkness Sleep grabbing her in its embrace once again.

__________________

Rousha would wake and find The smell of her mother to be off. Slowly she moved the arm wrapped around her. Again it was wrong. Instead of the warmth of her, it was cold. COLD?! Rousha started to panic as she shook her body. Getting no response, Tears welled up as she does making it hard to see. Tears dropped as she cried. Her body shook as she felt her mouth move.

________________

I was walking towards the office. Only to hear a scream It was inhuman. I rushed into the office to find rousha bawling her eyes out. Making the sound every time she caught her breath. Slowly I turned to look to see Tosa. Motionless. Dead. Her lack of repairs finally caught her. More kansen enter likely hearing the screams. All of them pause at the sight. except one. Laffey pushed through. and wrapped Rousha in a hug. Slowly she called hugging Laffey back her tail sitting low her ears wilted. silently crying into Laffey who gently led her away out of the room.

The room was dead silent as Vestal came in. doing a final check before she sighed. loading her on a stretcher and moving the body out of the room. "shit.. just got her mother back just to lose her again. If there's a god it's a cruel one." Wales nods in agreement with Hornet's statement. "It seems we will not be continuing that discussion." "The fuck is wrong with you? Someone died in your office and all you're worried about is the information we can't have anymore?" "Hornet. I have never personally met Tosa before now. I'm worried about Rousha sure. but I am not the person for her to talk to." She looked at Hornet "That's your job now. along with Laffey's. You two are the closest thing to family she has." With that, she moved to her desk and sat. Hornet stood there in silence for a moment before leaving slowly mulling over her words.

Soon she reaches Rousha's room, Knocking and hearing a soft come in from Laffey. She pushes open the door to see Rousha on the bed crying into Laffey still. Hornet sat on the edge of the bed and felt Rousha's tail wrap around her side. The crying now it was softer was more akin to a small animal calling out to its mother. It repeats a few times before she falls asleep aginst Laffey.