Chapter 15 - Mirage

Note: Includes a little bit of touching. Just a teeny bit.

Also recommend listening to the song - Ranjha by Hashbass & Divyam

____________

Murtasim's heart was full

Murtasim's heart was full. He had been grappling with the pressures of being Khan ever since his father demise.

He had Anwar Khan and Waqas Ahmed's support. But somehow, seeing Meerab interact so politely with the villagers, calmed him. He felt as though, he wasn't alone anymore. If he ever fell, he would have someone to catch him or atleast understand him, he knew Meerab would get him.

They were always drawn to each other. There was physical attraction, yes. But there was much more. He realized this only after he felt the fear of losing her to Faiyaz.

The memory played as the event went by. The evening they both sat under the gazebo, they both knew then, what they meant for each other. But Meerab chose otherwise. She thought she was making the right choice but she hardly knew what was coming. He felt weirdly protective of her. Even on the day of the engagement the pain of losing her to someone else was present, however, the pain of seeing her hurt and urge to kill or inflict the same pain onto the culprit was much more. He wanted to beat the hell out of Faiyaz. But he stopped, the words, "I obviously don't feel for her, what you do... and because I want to do right by her"

and because I want to do right by her"

The words replayed in his head, what was Faiyaz trying to say? Could this be related to demands Nazia had made to Anwar, which had left the latter worried.

And then his gaze fell onto Meerab. The people around him did not matter one bit. All that mattered was Meerab. She looked ethereal in red suit, he had made the right choice in quietly suggesting Maa Begum this dress for her.

The way she would pull the stray hair behind her ear, but some would again stray away and find themselves on her face. The little frown and a pout she would make, as she held her stray strands at bay while she intently listened to the person Infront of her.

He was brought out of his reverie when a heavy palm found its place on his shoulder, Mir sahab one of the village elders and one of his advisors, patted his shoulder. "Aur beta Murtasim, sab khairiyat"

He looked up and patted his own cheeks so that he didn't look so dazed. Feeling a little guilty for not having participated in the conversation even a bit. "Ji Mir Sahab, actually I was just looking around, there's a lot that happened these last couple of days"

"I know, I am aware, word travels fast. I know what Anwars boy did. It's not fair what happened to Meerab. Lekin tumne apna haath badhaya, khan ho aur uske Muafiz bhi."

Murtasim nodded. Sirf muafiz nahi uska dil bhi banna chahta hun, agar wo mujhe apnaye
He thought.

"So what are you planning to do with those four men you caught. I heard they are still being probed in that cottage"