Chapter 14. Meri Khaani

Waqas and Anila had left Hyderabad, leaving Meerab in the hands of Khans more specifically Murtasim's

Bare foot, pattering on the floor. Meerab walked to and fro in her room. Her dupatta flowing behind her. Her intrusive thoughts getting the best of her. The early morning scene played again & again in her head. Unable to take control of herself. She sat on the bed and let out a disgruntled huff.

She couldn't go back to regretting each time she got close to Murtasim. They were physically attracted to each other, this was the reality, she had to accept it. But, there is more to life. She wanted more. She sought companionship which she knew she would have gotten had Faiyaz not run away and leave her stranded at the last moment.

She was still yet to get over the fact that her to be fiance had left her on their engagement day with hundreds of guests and relatives waiting outside. Shaking her head, she hid her face in her palms. Prolonging any human interaction she would have to make.

The morning had not started on a good note. Her mother had messaged her saying how their next door neighbour at Karachi, was aghast that their daughter was now hopeless, and how everyone was going to be talking about her. Followed by the breakfast table conversation, which was beyond awkward because Maa begum was still coming to terms with the fact that not only did her beloved son get engaged to the girl she despised, he also was going to make her stay under the same roof. Meerab felt like lashing out and saying how, had things been in her hands, she would have fled.

But, much to her dismay, she can't.

As she lifted her head, she heard a little purr sound, and the house cat, 'Bilooo' was casually licking its paws and stealing glances at Meerab, awaiting her reaction. She picked up a spare scarf lying on her bed, rolled it into a ball and threw in her direction. Biloo immediately reacted and began entertaining itself, letting its paws push the ball and then quickly run ahead and continue doing so.

Meerab tilted her head as she lost herself in Biloo's antics. She didn't want to face the world outside her room.

A sudden knock on her startled her, bringing her out of the pure bliss. One of the maids patiently waited outside the door.

Meerab saw the pair of clothes she held in her hand and gave her questioning look. "Maa Begum ne ye apke liye bheja hai" she said hesitantly. Even the maids at the Haveli knew Meerab's dislike for conforming to the age old traditions at the Khans.

Meerab brought her hand forward and took the set of clothes from the maid. What she held was a deep Maroon Joda, Salwar Kameez floral border, embroidered in sheer net. She gasped how lovely the shade was and how much it complimented her tone.

Standing in-front of the mirror and brought it over her chest as she admired her self. "App kya soch rahi hai Maa Begum" she thought out loud.

A soft rumbling was heard as peered down and saw Biloo's collar bell ring as he toyed with the cloth ball.