Chapter six

I dropped her off home and left without saying much, just a ‘goodnight’ and ‘we’ll talk.’ What was there to say anyway, there wasn't a point to fill in the silence, it was better to leave whatever we had on our minds unsaid before we caused another cataclysmic encounter.

Alone in my room, I sat scolding myself for my stupidity, for exploding like a volcano who’s been under great pressure. But again there wasn’t any point pondering on this, it wouldn’t have changed what happened.

I lit another cigarette and opened the window staring at the few yet bright streetlights casting their light upon the neighbourhood. There was something  about smoking with your window open into the summer night, that felt unreal so I closed my eyes dragging out the cig exhaling the smoke feeling it dissipate into the night. In that moment I stopped worrying about everything, I stopped thinking about her, about us and what happened, about how I was going to fulfil the promise I made her when I had her pinned against the tree, that she’ll ‘regret this sooner or later’.

With a blank mind I went to bed, so the thought of Cassie wouldn’t creep it’s way.

In the morning, I realised that I had a whole day ahead of me, with nothing to do, no one to see. Obviously  I wasn’t going to call Cassie to make plans, for now I’d rather not see her and I bet she felt the same, after all it would be so awkward, so I decided to go to the lake on my own and be bored out of my mind there.

As opposed to yesterday, there were more people at the lake today, definitely not making me feel more alone than I already felt. Anyways I put my earphones in and laid down on my towel trying to distract myself as much as possible. It wasn’t long before however that I could hear a very much familiar voice. “Come on, don’t be a chicken come in the water with me!” Cassie’s voice ringed in my ears. I lifted myself up on my elbows and scanned the beach and there she was waiting by the water for that shitbag Jake. ‘Well there goes my intention to avoid her.’ I thought to myself while observing them, well her, from a distance.

She seemed totally fine, frolicking around with that prick Jake, like I haven’t told her that he ain’t good for her. ‘What the fuck am I supposed to do, can’t just stay here, they could notice me and I’m not in the mood to be all gracious with them.’ While thinking, a great idea popped into my mind, though it wouldn’t be so great for Jake, who was undressing there all giggly ready to get into the water with Cas.

I waited for them to be in the water so I wouldn’t be as easily detected. Once I was sure that they're going to be there for a while fully in the water, with my cap on and my sunglasses on my face I started advancing towards where their stuff was.

Well call me Sherlock Holmes cause I found where they were situated fairly easy given that Jake would constantly wear the same raggedy brown cargo shorts and stripy t-shirt which were now tossed around. Checking once again that our “happy couple” was still distracted, I picked up his shit, even though I was scared I might get Ebola from it and started walking away from their towels.  On my way off the beach I found a rubbish bin and shoved his stuff in there, as giving it to a charity would be a disgrace to the establishment and to the people who buy from them.

With that done, once off the beach I sat on a bench and lit a cig when something indeed very interesting caught my eye. ‘Would you look at that!’ I exclaimed this time out loud as I was astonished by my luck today.

There was Jake’s bike “chained” to a cycle stand. When I got closer to it, I realised that he was actually fucking dumb. ‘Jesus, so you can afford this bike, but you can’t afford a proper chain that actually locks Jakey boy?’ I said to myself proudly while looking at the sorry attempt he made to look like his bike was properly chained up. ‘What a loser...’ I sighed, taking off that sorry piece of a chain lock and tossing it aside. ‘Guess you’ll be unavailable to teach Cassie how to ride a bike from now on... So so sad.’ I thought while getting the bike out.