Hyein and Eunjin

Chapter Thirteen: Hyein and Eunjin

Unknown Number

2:12 PM
"Hey Hyein, it's Eunjin. Can I see you in five minutes?"

2:12 PM
"Okay, where though?"

2:12 PM
"In front of your house."

2:12 PM
"Okay, let me get ready."

Hyein got up from her bed and changed out of her pajamas into casual, baggy clothes.

When she was done, she walked downstairs with her phone in her jeans pocket.

She grabbed the basketball that was in the living room and then walked out of the house.

Eunjin was a few feet away still walking.

"Hey." Hyein waved her hand when Eunjin looked up from looking at the ground.

Eunjin smiled back and then started to walk a bit faster.

"Why'd you text me?" Hyein asked once Eunjin was right in front of her.

"I just got bored after classes and I remembered you told me I could hang out with you sometime." Eunjin replied.

"Do you want to play basketball in the park nearby?" Hyein suggested as she played with the ball.

"Sure, I haven't played in a while though." Eunjin replied, and then the two of them started walking.

"How was your first night in this new place?" Hyein started a conversation after a bit of walking.

"It was great actually. I thought this city was going to be loud, but it's calm, and nothing weird has happened." Eunjin looked around as she responded.

"What do you mean by nothing weird?" Hyein added.

"Just criminal stuff. My parents wanted to move here about 7 months ago, but work in California was demanding, so they had to hold that off for a bit." Eunjin replied.

"Last night at the dinner you mentioned that most of your friends drifted apart from you except for two. Do you know why?" Hyein asked.

"I know why. I haven't told my parents yet, but now that I think about it, I never told anyone. So, you'll be the first person to know. At the start of last school year, we were a good friend group, but then in the middle of it, they started to distance themselves away from me, and in the end, I found out why. Once they had left me, it was because they had started to be a part of the 'popular kids', even though that group didn't really pay attention to them. They stopped talking to me because I didn't 'fit' their standard for someone who wanted to be their friend. When I finally accepted the fact that we would never have the same friendship again, I only hung out with my other two friends." Eunjin responded with a hint of sadness in her voice.

"They're assholes. I'm happy you didn't chase them." Hyein comforted.

When they got to the court, they started to play 1v1.

As Eunjin and Hyein continued playing basketball, Eunjin suddenly tripped over her own feet and stumbled forward.

Hyein, who was standing nearby, quickly reacted and caught Eunjin before she could fall to the ground.