9] a promise *:・

⋆

                                                                ⋆.ೃ࿔*:・₊ ⊹

"So, not only is the girl immune, but now she can heal people too?" A small man spoke from his seat. On a small table in front of him was an assortment of different sweets.

The little girl was taken back to her father by some of the lower-ranking servants, the sea raiders now in a room upstairs in the castle–a place they often met to discuss enemy activities, strategies, and formations, among other things.

The sun had come up now, casting a soft glow over the room. Whatever duties they previously had planned for the day had come to a temporary halt.

"It happened in an instant," Yosano spoke, pouring herself a cup of jasmine tea from a ceramic pot, not even filling the cup halfway. "It doesn't even compare to my normal treatments.."

"It's odd how Brigg's daughter just happened to wander here on her own like that. You're telling me none of the guards saw her?"

"Dazai, you were outside when that whole thing happened, what's your take on all of this?" Kunikida spoke from his seat; a blue cushioned arm chair.

The brunette was standing at the window, looking out into the courtyard with no apparent expression on his face. He had already been relatively distant in this conversation between his comrades. He was silent for another moment before speaking, his gaze still fixed on the dewy greenery.

"How she got past the guards is simple. It's an ability-user's doing."

"What?"

"So this was premeditated? Then... Brigg sent her on purpose? But why?"

"As far as Luna goes," Dazai ignored the question. "She clearly didn't know of this healing ability of hers beforehand, much less the fact she's immune." He paused for a moment.

"But if that's all a facade," He turned and looked at Kunikida. "Then we'll just play our next moves carefully."

"Sounds about right.." Kunikida followed. "We've let her in on so much intel, it's only a matter of time."

"A facade.." Yosano repeated Dazai's words. "The way she talks is incredibly formal. Something isn't really right."

"Well, you know–it's odd," Ranpo chimed in, shoving a few pastries in his mouth. "Her records have been wiped somehow, more so, like they never even existed. Her parents don't show up. If there was at least one thing-"

"-If she's an enemy, we won't get it out of her. Even so, we'll keep going." Dazai cut the man off, leaving the room.

                                                                             ⋆.ೃ࿔*:・₊ ⊹

Luna stood outside a set of big, dark double-doors. These ones were slightly more extravagant than the usual doors within the hollow halls, which could only mean one thing. The throne room. She had a lump in her throat as the armed guards reached for the handles to allow her in.

When she entered, she froze for a moment. The room was incredibly spacious–more so than she had imagined. The floors were a sleek, marble white material with small steps leading up to a platform with a blue, velvet carpet lining. A huge throne sat right in the center, underneath the large windows that allowed natural light to pool into the room, reflecting off blues, whites, dark wood, and gold.

Plaques and glass cases lined one side of the room, some holding sheathed swords, among other mementos. It was a bit personalized for a monarch.

The King wasn't even sitting on the throne, but instead, standing at the side of the room, seemingly looking down at some sort of parchment on his desk.

"Uh- Your Majesty.." She blurted, kneeling down and staring at a spot on the floor with wide eyes.

Instant regret washed over her. Was her tone too informal? Was he going to be mad? Was he going to say anything about the incident? The silence was killing her, but before her thoughts could torture her any more, the King finally spoke up.

"Luna. Fukuzawa.." He smiled, slowly turning towards her kneeling form. He gave a slight bow himself. "It's a pleasure to finally meet you."

"I know we're meeting on a bit of different terms than expected. Your sudden presence here has taken my subordinates for a bit of a.. surprise." He began, starting to walk away from his desk, his long robe gently dragging on the floor behind him.

"Some of whom have grown quite fond of you.. one in particular–the boy.."

"The boy?"

"Kenji."

'I think you should stay with us then.. we need to find out what's going on anyway..'

Kenji.. that blonde little freckled boy? She thought to herself, memories of riding with him in the carriage coming back to her.

"I'll do you the courtesy of getting to the point here.." Fukuzawa began.

"The necklace." He pointed to the pendant resting on her chest.

"That is this nation's driving factor right now. I have a feeling you'll be leading some of our people, in a sense, but with that.. people will likewise have their criticisms. Can you handle that?"

What was all this? What did he mean 'leading' people? Could she handle it? Of course she could.

"Criticisms..yes." Luna slowly answered, uncertainty laced in her tone.

Fukuzawa took note of her expression and body language. She had the heart, there was no doubt. But to carry out a duty such as the one he was asking of her was a different story.

"I'm not sure if you are yet aware, but you and Dazai are the only ones who the curse cannot affect," He said, his gaze locking with hers. "I want you to work with him to uncover the truth."

Luna stared at the King with wide eyes. She couldn't help but to recall an image of her past-self with that gaze of his. Her childhood self.

Her father stood before her, his gray hair reaching just to his shoulders, his eyes stern and void of any apparent feeling, like he was getting ready to read from a script.

"Your role in this family is to listen and to obey. If you do that, all else will fall into place."

Luna would listen to her father's words without question most times. That was all she knew, and she never complained, because it always seemed to work. When meeting with the King himself and other noble families, she remained quiet and let her father do the speaking as she and her mother stood beside him, as if living proofs of the trueness of his words.

Things always went accordingly. Their family was granted their own noble region–a palace in the midst of an area rich with fish and seaweed, all to their own dispense. As long as her father served his duty and contributed to the nation of Esdelle, he and his family would live lavishly, be recognized as nobility, and receive the utmost respect of the commoners.

But things were a bit different now. That region was annihilated. Her father was gone, and she would now take his place. Though, instead of him serving under the King, she was serving under the King of the opposite world. The reins were being passed into her hands.

'If you do that, all else will fall into place...'

"I'll do my best, Your Majesty! I promise.."

"Then Luna.. I officially welcome you to the Armed Sea Raiders."