longing.

"Who are you people?" She asked, picking her words carefully. She wouldn't want them to be suspicious of her right off the bat, especially Dazai. She knew he was sharper than anyone else in the Mafia... (besides Mori, of course).

"I'm Nakajima Atsushi, and this is Dazai O—"

"My name is Dazai Osamu, and I would be willing to commit a double suicide with you!" He kept his hand out still, trying to coax her into shaking it. She didn't.

"I see." Y/n didn't introduce herself, and it was better if they didn't ask. After all, something could happen and thus reveal her ability.

"And who might you be, miss? How old are you?" Drat. Of course Dazai had to ask her that... It would be suspicious to not answer.

"... My name is L/n Y/n... Eighteen years old." She was curious about how old Dazai was in this universe. The smaller boy beamed at her.

"I'm eighteen too!" He seemed joyful that there was someone his age.

"Eighteen..? That's a bit young for me... wouldn't want to end up like a certain mafia boss, would I?" The brunette chuckled, and Y/n immediately understood that reference. Was it he still in the mafia...?

"Oh, how old might you be then?"

"Ooh, why would you wanna know? Did you fall for my charms? Do you want to commit a double sui-"

"Just answer the question, please." God, was he annoying as ever. But at least he wasn't actively and physically trying to kill himself every ten seconds—just merely expressing his desire for it... which isn't exactly a good thing either.

"Twenty-two."

Y/n looked up at him in surprise. Twenty-two?! No wonder he's taller... and healthier... and handsome- No, snap out of it Y/n!

"... What affiliation are you from?" She asked to fill the silence, but her mistake was opening her mouth.

"Hm? And why is a peculiar girl the one investigating us? Well, to answer your question, we are members of the Armed Detective Agency. Special ability users who solve crimes and cases to protect Yokohama." He mansplained perfectly.

Y/n's ears perked up. "A detective agency...?" That was new. Dazai wasn't in the mafia, but could he have in the past? She wanted to know.

"Yes, haven't you heard? Oh are you not from Yokohama then?" He asked, tilting his head slightly.

Y/n froze. What will she say in this instance? She was definitely born and raised in Yokohama, but she doesn't know any of these futuristic organizations.

But the weirdest part is that Dazai doesn't recognize her at all. Sure, he's all grown up now, but that doesn't mean he didn't know a Y/n at one point. That joke about Mori earlier insinuated that he's probably from the Port Mafia, and yet he acted as if he'd never seen her in his life. Every other universe she's been to, he always knew her.

... Unless 'Y/n' didn't belong here.

She knew she herself infiltrated this world, but every time she did that she'd always have the same connections she had in her original timeline, unless she deliberately chose one without it. This was not the case here. There was no 'Y/n' in this world in the first place.

But I don't understand... Why is there a timeline without my existence? Can I not coexist in a world with Oda? Is he even alive? No, no I mustn't doubt that... Why else would I be transported here...

"Ahem, miss?" She blinked back to the present time. "Are you from Yokohama or not?"

Right. Do I lie? Of course I have to lie- but about what...