|Chapter One|

"Come on baby, please? You know it's my birthday." I protested as my boyfriend, Brandon, got ready for a party "If you don't fucking like it, you can come with." He said as he tossed on an old baggy T-shirt and headed downstairs.

It was my birthday and we had made plans for it prior, and now he was telling me he was going to some random party. I agreed even though I hated the idea, and slipped on my favorite band t, some baggy black cargo pants, and my favorite pair of docs. I put on some accessories, and headed downstairs to meet him.

Brandon gave me a quick once over before crossing his arms. "What?" I looked down at myself and then back up at him "You look like shit." My heart dropped into my stomach at his words, and I wrapped my arms around my stomach. He sighs heavily and waves his hand "It's whatever, we don't have time for you to change. Let's just go."

We headed to the car together, and the entire car ride was silent aside from Brandon blasting his music.

I just looked out the window at the scenery passing by, and smiled as I thought about laying in the grass. I watched the street lights pass and stared at the sunset. I watched the trees, the grass, and the flowers. I sigh heavily, accidentally catching Brandon's attention.

He sighs and lays his hand on my thigh, drawing circles on my thigh with his thumb. "Listen baby... I'm sorry. I didn't mean what I said earlier, you know I think you're beautiful." I lay my hand on his, turning to him and smiling "I know..." I say quietly, looking back out the window.

I tried not to take anything he says seriously, he says things he doesn't mean all the time.

We made it to the party, and it already looked like my own personal hell. Brandon got out of the car first, opening my door for me and wrapping his arm around my waist.

We walked inside together, and immediately he was swarmed by a bunch of guys like its some kind of frat party. I just stood at the entrance and looked around, all I could see was people.

I sighed and tried to make my way to any open space, finally getting some peace in a quiet corner of the house. I sat down on the couch, bringing my knees to my chest. I watched the crowd, seeing a menagerie of different types of people.

I stood up making my way to the kitchen, hoping to find something to drink to ease my anxiety.

I poured myself some jack and coke and made my way back to the quiet corner, trying my best to avoid bumping into anyone.

I noticed someone else was now sitting on the couch, a guy. He had long black hair swept across his face, with tattoos from head to toe. He was talking to a couple other people. One of them was a guy, a bit taller with a shaggy dark brown mullet and tattoos, the other was a girl almost half his height with long straight black hair.

I wanted to go over, but I decided against it figuring it'd be weird to just interject.

I instead sat on a different couch nearby, and sipped my drink. I wasn't a very social person, and I was constantly overthinking every social situation I got myself into. Which made me feel so lucky to have Brandon. Even if he was difficult at times.

I kind of just stared at my hands, listening to the music that was playing. I sipped my drink again, looking around at the crowd and sighing. I knew Brandon wanted to come, but I wish he would've at least spent some time with me first considering it was my birthday.

I felt a light tap on my shoulder, and I looked up to see the girl. She greeted me with a big smile "Hi! Sorry to bother you, I just wanted to say I really like your style!" I smiled back at her "Thanks, I like yours too." I responded shyly. She pointed to the seat next to me "Mind if I sit?" I nodded and the two of us began chatting.

I learned that her name was Tara, the other two were Jake and Johnnie, and she's actually really sweet. She talks a lot, which makes it easy for me since I'm terrible at keeping up a conversation. She asks if I wanna meet her friends, and I ended up sitting and chatting with the three of them for hours.

Jake and Tara walked off, leaving me and Johnnie alone.

Johnnie seemed almost just as awkward as me, and an awkward silence fell over us. I tried to think of something to talk about, landing on the topic of music since we were both wearing band ts.

"This party is so shit" Johnnie commented, chuckling as he sipped his drink. I sighed and nodded in agreement "I honestly didn't even wanna come, I just came because my boyfriend was." I downed the rest of my drink and looked at the crowd, wishing Brandon was with me.

"Where is he anyways?" I shrugged in response "Wish I knew." He gave me a knowing look. I briefly mentioned it was my birthday, and Johnnie tilted his head in response. "It's your birthday, and your boyfriend isn't with you?" I shrugged "That's normal for him." I tried changing the subject after that.

The party was ending, and Brandon finally made his way over to me letting me know it was time to go home.

"Can I get your number? I'd love to hang out sometime." Johnnie flashed me a bright smile, and we exchanged numbers. As I was walking away, I could feel butterflies in my stomach. It was such a small gesture, and it was purely platonic, but for some reason it felt different.

Something Brandon hadn't made me feel in a long, long time. And it got me thinking.

Brandon and I make it back home, and we kick our shoes off. I make my way up to the bedroom and get changed into pajamas, Brandon coming in after I've changed. He sits on the bed with his arms crossed, and gives me a dirty look.

I stop what I'm doing and look at him "Everything ok hun?" He scoffs "Who was that? At the party." I shrug and toss my clothes in the hamper "Some guy I just met, his name is Johnnie."

I go to the bathroom to brush my teeth and Brandon follows me, leaning against the door frame with his arms still crossed.

"So why'd you exchange numbers then?" I sigh and turn to him "Because he seems sweet? He's a cool guy I'd like to get to know more." I go back to brushing my teeth and Brandon walks away obviously pissed.

I get done and slide into bed with him. He rolls over so his back is to me, and my chest tightens. "Honey, please don't ignore me." He rolls onto his back and looks at me.

"You know I don't like you talking to other guys." I nod, curling up next to him "I know, I'm sorry." He wraps his arms around me, and pulls me to his chest. "You know I'm the only one who could love you, right? You're lucky you even have me." I nod, just accepting it.