16

"Long time no see, Mercadir," the deep voice rumbles.

Lady Cadence, Keefe, and I all turn around on cue. King Dimitar. Lady Cadence bows while I nod my head. 

"It still smells the same," Keefe says with his signature smirk. 

Kind Dimitar rolls his eyes but I see a grin form. "Hate to say it, but it feels okay that you're back."

Old Keefe would've teased him endlessly for this, but instead, he gives him an appreciative smile. 

"The others have been waiting," King Dimitar says, "Let's go."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The hugs and kisses are cut short because of the urgency of our situation. We are all here. Our families and friends, including Keefe's dad. Which their reunion sparked tears in everyone's eyes. The members of the black swan, all of them. Still with their disguises though. The Councillors. And even Brandon and Isaac. Mr. Forkle steps up. 

"We all know why we are here today, it's the final meeting," he says and the energy of the room changes. Everyone becomes serious. "The final battle will commence, whether we want it to or not. This means every one of us will put our lives on the line for the sake of humanity. We have been planning this for years. All the way back to when Project Moonlark first started," everyone glances at me, friendly faces that almost look unrecognizable. 

The amount of growth in everyone here is evident. We have trained, fought, won some, lose many. So many deaths. I close my eyes as I feel my heart throb for the ones we have lost. It will not go in vain though. We will win this war. We will get justice. As I open my eyes I watch as everyone nods, realizing the dangers of what lies ahead. But we are all ready. And I know everyone feels the same. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You okay?" Keefe asks me as we both walk into the cabin- like hut we are staying in. 

They gave us time to rest until tonight, when we officially launch our attack. 

"Yeah just thinking," I say sitting down on the cot. 

"About what?" He asks me. 

Before I can answer, the door opens. Fitz walks in. He looks angry. 

"Sophie, I can't accept this," he says angry. "How could you choose him over me? You liked me!"

"Fitz stop, this is not time for this," Biana tries to pull him away, but he juts his shoulder away from her. 

"Explain this to me," he stalks closer to us. 

Keefe stands up, blocking him from me. "Calm down man."

Fits pushes him. "Don't tell me to calm down, you stole my girl!"

"Hey," I hear Grady yell and Edaline follows him, trying to stop him. 

He grabs Fitz and pulls him away. "Don't you dare, that's my daughter."

"Why, Sophie," Fitz asks. 

I see the pain in his eyes and I feel my heart start to break. I feel my eyes water. 

"Oh, Fitz," I stand up and grab his hand. "I'm sorry."

"Give me an answer, what does he have that I don't?" His voice cracks. 

I shake my head, feeling tears start to pour down. "I- I love him, Fitz."

I feel the room freeze. Every person in the room stops breathing. Fitz lets go of my hand. I can see the realization come across his face. The anger leaves and his face portrays understanding. He gives me small smile. 

"Okay," is all he says before he walks out the room. Biana trails out, leaving just Grady, Edaline, Keefe, and I. 

I look over at Grady and Edaline and they give me a small smile. 

"Grady, can I?" Keefe asks. 

Grady nods and I look him confused. Can he what? I turn to look at Keefe and watch as he drops on his knees. I feel my heart stop. Everything stops working. 

"Sophie," he says my first name. 

Everything around me blurs out except Keefe. 

"You've by my side since the beginning. Even when I broke your trust time and time again. I'm not good for you. You're like my guardian angel while I'm just the anchor holding you down. And I never wanted to act upon my feelings because you deserve so much better than a loser like me," he says with a sad smile. 

I open my mouth to disagree with him, but he cuts me off. 

"But I don't care anymore," I hear his voice crack. "I can't live another day without you. Not another hour, not another minute, not another second."

Now the tears and flowing down. I can't stop the hiccups. 

"I wanted to wait till after, but I don't even know if we will make it out of this. But if something ever happens, I want you to still be mine. No matter what. So please, Sophie Elizabeth Foster, my love and reason for living," he pulls out something from his pocket and I see the most beautiful ring I've ever seen. "Please marry me."

He doesn't even have time to process anything. I fall onto the floor in front of him and grab his face, kissing him. He holds me close to him. I grab him with desperation, my tears making the kiss salty. He pulls away, giving me that beautiful crooked smile. 

"Is that a yes?" He smirks. 

My laugh is bubbly with my tears. I nod my head. "Yes! Keefe Sencen. I am yours."

He slides the ring on me and holds me tightly in his arms. I can feel more arms wrap around me and I look up to see Grady and Edaline, tears in their eyes as well.

"We love you, kiddo," Grady says, kissing me on the forehead. 

"You, too, Keefe," Edaline hugs him tightly. 

I look down at the ring in admiration. I am a wife. I am Keefe's wife. The determination deepens in my heart. We will win this and Keefe and i will be able to live the life we were meant to live.