One (draft)

I sigh dreamily as I scroll through my tumblr feed.

Oh, Liam, why're you so hot.

"Eleanor! I hope you've picked out your dress by now!" I hear my step-mother, Janice, yelling from downstairs, vaguely. I look down at my baggy sweater and sweatpants and shrug.

"Yeah! I'm almost ready!" I yell back, adjusting my wide rimmed glasses.

Lie.

I then hear the door opening and the sigh of disappointment that I'm way too familiar with.

"Eleanor, please, this is a very important party for your father. Go get ready." Janice says while putting on her heavy earrings.

Then she walks to my closet and starts rummaging through my clothes, "Here, wear this," she says, pulling out a dress from the very back of my closet.

"Now all you have to do is match it with suitable accessories and heels," she emphasizes on the word 'heels', giving me a pointed look, "and do your make up. Our baggage is already at the hotel. Candice and Arthur are already waiting for us in the car and- Eleanor, are you even listening to me?"

"Huh? oh yeah, of course I am." I say as I reluctantly get up after having one last look at the dreamy goodness that is Liam Hemsworth. I take the white long dress from Janice and walk to the bathroom that is down the hall from my room.

When my gaze lands on the mirror I see a girl with dull brown eyes and long brown hair that have lost their shine somewhere along the way. At one point in my life my eyes were a bright light brown colour, to match my bubbly nature, both of which I got from my mother, but it seems like it died off along with her.

I shake off those thoughts and start getting ready. I get out of my extremely comfortable clothes and put on the full sleeved gown that reached the floor and covered up my entire body perfectly, just how I like it.

Then I move on to the make up and hair. I take my own time with it and when I'm done, I walk back to my room and glare at the silver heels Janice put out for me. Letting out a heavy sigh, I sit on my bed and wear those six inches of hell and slowly walk out my room and down the stairs. The walk from the stairs to the car includes me tripping on my dress twice and cursing under breath the whole time.

I sit in the back seat of my dad's car, as he starts it and begins driving to whatever grand hotel his boss is throwing this party at, with my step sister, Candice.

Candice Everheart is just as old as me but is every bit the perfection I am not, has been ever since middle school, when my father married Janice. She was the head cheerleader in high school, had the quarterback of the football team as her boyfriend (who she's still dating, even seven years after graduation) and had perfect grades. Although she didn't bully me or anything like it's shown in books, people always compared me to her, telling me that I should be more like her.

"Look who finally decided to grace us with her presence." Candice smirks next to me, while looking my way, making her perfect blonde curls bounce ever so slightly.

"Shut up." I say as I roll my eyes and push her lightly. She pushes me back and laughs at my scowl. I cross my arms and grumble under breath about how I should be spending my time ogling at the sexy abs of celebrities instead of dressing up as a doll and going to a party, making Candice roll her eyes.

"Cheer up doll, there are going to be lots of hot men in suits at this party that you can flirt with." she attempted to lift up my spirits.

Instead I scoffed, "and since when have I been good at flirting?" I ask her while raising my eyebrow at her.

It's true, I've never been good at flirting, or socializing in general, despite many failed attempts from Janice to set me up on dates and Candice to take me to high school and college parties. It was more Candice's thing.

Candice rolled her eyes, "well, you can always start now, besides, Vince will be there as well, so it won't be as boring," she said, making me scoff again.

"Well maybe not for you, since all you're going to be doing is flirting with him and making out," I replied while picking on my nails.

I hear a gasp coming from the front of the car, making me look up at Janice, who is looking at my nails in horror.

"Eleanor, your nails look horrible," she said while looking at me with disappointment laced in her eyes, "look at candice's nails, why can't you spend a little more time on your appearance, like she does."

Candice rolled her eyes at her mothers words, while I looked down at my lap, biting my lip hard.

"Mom, stop. We're both different, so what if she doesn't go to the parlor every other week. Truth is, she doesn't need to, she's beautiful as she is," my sister defended me, looking in my direction, her red stained lips turning slightly upwards into a knowing smile, which I returned and mouthed 'thank you'.

This is how it's been between us, I could never stand up for myself against anyone, but my sister and her boyfriend always defended me every time, which I was grateful for.

That's when my dad decided to join the conversation, "of course she's beautiful, candy, but she can be even more beautiful if she learns how to use make up. Think of all the job interviews she can go to-"

"What's wrong with my current job", I cut my dad off, frowning. My dad sighed heavily and gave me a look, making me frown more.

"Sweetie, everything's wrong with your job. And the place you stay. I'm telling you, just move out of that dump and move into a better apartment, I'll pay for it." My dad said.

"Dad, we've discussed this. I'm not leaving my job because that's the only thing I'm good at and I'm not leaving my apartment because that's the only place I can afford." I replied.

"But-"

"Authur, she's trying to be independent, let her be." Candice cut him off again, making him sigh and shake his head.

"But look at you, you're just as old as her but are a successful fashion designer. We just want the best for our daughters." Janice piped in, taking my father's side.

"Why are we even talking about this? Let's just get to the party and get it over with so I can go get some sleep? I've got a bunch of work to do." I said, crossing my arms and looking out the window

And thats where the conversation ended.

~~~~~~~~

A/n: Eleanor Everhart in the media section.