Chapter 19 - Blades

The sky was grey, the air heavy, and their group silent.

Veanna scuffed her feet through dead leaves. It wouldn't be long before they turned to mulch in the falling drizzle and sank into the mud. Until then, they fluttered up at her movement and became caught in the wind that danced through the woods. When they fell, it looked as though she had never passed, as though her footsteps left no trace.

She saw Tia twitch at the noise and stopped kicking the leaves. The Outlander had been tense since their trip into Oakbridge, and Veanna didn't want to add to her strain. It was a bad habit, anyway. Her mother scolded her when she broke decorum, though it became half-hearted away from judging eyes.

What she wouldn't give to be scolded by her mother now.

Veanna swallowed the wave of loneliness and raised her eyes, her gaze falling on Neyerith's back. He still led the way, but walked in silence. Perhaps he knew that one misplaced comment around Tia could cost him his head, or perhaps he didn't have the will to joke. The loss of his niggling chatter should have been relieving, but it set Veanna even more on edge.

As they did when her mind was free to wander, her thoughts drifted to Jate. He must know she was missing by now, through her father's announcement if nothing else. She hoped he didn't feel as afraid and helpless as she did - though at least she knew that she was on her way home.

It was hard enough each time Jate had been sent away from Beyall on some task or another, when their time together consisted of stolen moments and any excuse to return to the capital. When he left, she kept a close eye on reports arriving from the army, terrified that she would hear of the fall of that one division, that one soldier she could not bear to sacrifice. The interest she took in the army's movements was commended, but she could never admit that her heart was lost amongst the tactics. It was torture to sign orders that sent him away from her, back into danger for the kingdom, but she could not afford to show favouritism and arouse suspicions about their relationship.

Yet at least she'd had some semblance of control. Jate had no control over which direction he was pointed in, and he was likely trapped in his orders even now. She hoped fervently that he didn't do anything rash, that he could stick to his job and trust she would come home to him.

Veanna didn't want to admit that she probably wouldn't be able to do the same in his position.

She gave a small sigh that was lost to the wind as the rain began to fall in earnest. She brushed away a few drops from the lip of her hood and glanced up. The clouds were dark, rain dancing easily around the bare branches that offered no cover. She couldn't wait for the blossoms to come, for the world to flower again.

A thumping sound became audible over the downpour, but it wasn't until Tia gave a warning shout that she realised they were footfalls. Fast, heavy footfalls coming right towards them.

A hulking figure barrelled from the woods ahead, a second sprinting out behind their group. Virtually nothing was distinguishable through the curtain of rain, no features or form except for the weapons they hefted.

Tia was ready for combat in a heartbeat, sword drawn and teeth bared. She span and pushed Veanna behind her, turning to face the second opponent who took up position on the path behind them. Neyerith too jumped into action, twin daggers in his hands as he sank into a defensive stance, staring warily at the first figure. Shielded between the two of them, Veanna pulled out the dagger Tia had gifted her weeks ago, gripping it hard enough to make her hand shake.

"Give us the Princess," a deep voice boomed from the figure ahead as they brandished a large axe.

Tia's posture shifted like a cat readying itself to pounce. "Leave now, or you will die" she growled back. The venom in her voice sent a shiver down Veanna's spine, and she was immensely glad the woman was on her side.