Chapter 11 - Knife-Edge

Unsurprisingly, the morning brought no new comforts with it. The rain had passed, leaving boggy ground behind, and the fire couldn't have lasted long into the night, judging by the chill that had settled in Veanna's bones. The earthy scent of the drenched forest was refreshing, but her clothing just smelt damp.

As they walked, she tried to think positively. Every step brought her closer to home, every stride cut a few seconds off the time she had to wait to be with her loved ones. Soon she would smell the perfume of her mother, feel the scratch of her father's cheek against hers, bury her face in Jate's chest. She focused on how much more pleasant walking was now that the path had become stony, her boots no longer being sucked into the mud every few paces. She could almost convince herself she wasn't miserable.

Her brightened mood didn't last long as the aches in her body returned with a vengeance and one of her ankles twinged. Water from the canvas strapped to her pack began to run down onto her heels, and it seemed inevitable that the moisture would permeate her boots.

Her discomfort didn't go unnoticed by Neyerith.

He walked ahead for most of the morning, but slowed his long strides to fall in step with her. "Not used to hiking?" he asked slyly with a sideways glance.

"I'm fine," Veanna muttered, avoiding his gaze. His proximity made her skin crawl.

"Are you sure you wouldn't prefer a fancy carriage?"

She forced herself not to start as the comment cut too close to the truth, but she couldn't help her eyes flickering towards him, afraid of some new trap she was going to fall into.

Tia had been hanging back, keeping an eye both on Neyerith and the track behind. Now, she stepped up on Veanna's other side, one hand pointedly on her sword as she glared at him.

Veanna felt strength leant by her companion's presence and turned to look fully at Neyerith. "I'm fine," she repeated. She fought not to lower her gaze from his, though her heart quailed at the intensity of his stare.

"You must be missing your comfy bed in Beyall, Lili," he continued, his expression remaining unreadable but his eyes glinting. Had he added emphasis on her false name? Was he mocking her, even now? Or was it all part of some game to force her to give herself up?

"I am looking forward to going home," she replied, wishing that he would move on and end the conversation. This paranoia about every word she spoke and every move he made was going to kill her before she ever made it back to the palace.

"Yes, it must be a real hardship being so far from home comforts." He spoke nonchalantly, his words absent of sarcasm but also of concern.

"What do I have to do to convince you that I am perfectly alright?" she snapped, her patience wavering as her unease rose. "A song and dance?"

Her response only made him laugh. "Ah, some fire at last from the oh-so-silent lady."

Veanna swallowed the bitter taste of apprehension. "Now will you stop pestering me?"

Neyerith held up his hands as though surrendering, his face still split by an amused grin. "Fear not, sweet maiden, I shall trouble you no longer." He sped his pace, and her stomach churned until he was several feet ahead.

Tia glanced at Veanna, her brow drawn and her jaw tight. Veanna gave a reassuring nod, despite the anxious knot that refused to leave her insides, and the Outlander turned her watchful gaze to Neyerith.

He continued strolling casually along, seemingly oblivious to their qualms. Veanna had a sneaking suspicion that he knew exactly what doubts he was causing to grow in their minds, and that he was enjoying every moment of it.

***

"How long do you think it will be before we reach home?" Veanna asked in a low voice, glancing over her shoulder to check that Neyerith was still fetching firewood as Tia had ordered. The rain had cleared, and the trees were thicker here than where they camped the night before, so with any luck there would be enough dry wood to keep them warm overnight.

"A few weeks, at least," Tia answered, binding Veanna's hands in fresh bandages. The wounds had started to heal over, but ached as if they were fresh if Veanna moved her fingers too abruptly. "I do not know much about the terrain we will cover, but we are a long way from Beyall."

"Will it be safer when we reach more towns? Maybe we can find someone trustworthy to send word to my parents."

Tia pressed her lips together as she did every time Veanna ventured the question, but still did not outright deny her as she tied off the bandages. "Perhaps. Do you think they will have begun a search?"

"They must have sent out some scouts, at least; maybe notified some army outposts to be on the lookout." Her thoughts drifted to Jate, who must think he would come back to Beyall and find her waiting. Her stomach twisted. "I don't even know how long I've been gone."

Tia didn't reply, her shoulders tensing and her head twitching.

"What is it?" Veanna asked, a chill running down her spine.

"We are being watched," Tia murmured. Without pausing to draw breath she lunged towards the treeline, her hand flashing out and yanking a figure from the shadows. A silver streak, and her sword flew from its scabbard to rest across Neyerith's neck. "What a nice surprise," she said grimly.

Veanna rose and viewed him warily. "Why were you watching us?" she said shakily, her stomach rolling and her fingers turning numb.

He gave her a surprisingly bright smile, considering the blade against his throat. "For the thrilling conversation, of course."

Tia's grip on his tunic tightened. "And what did you hear?"

"Enough," he replied with a disturbingly casual shrug, his movement restricted by her hold.

She pressed her sword harder into his neck in return, but he chuckled.

"Relax," he said. "It may have been a long time since I last saw you, but I knew who you were when we met, Princess."