Chapter 4 - Out of the Cold

Veanna shivered, tucking the coarse blanket tighter around her shoulders. Sunlight crept over the hilltops, each furrow and ridge emerging as the grey dawn advanced. She steadfastly focused on the landscape, the birdsong, and the scent of nature creeping in on the chill breeze. She didn't think about the pain in her hands, the terrifying chaos of the night before, or the longing for home and the people she loved.

Above all else, she didn't think about her timeless imprisonment in that lightless, soundless, airless dungeon.

Veanna forced away the unpleasant memories. She looked again at the trail leading out of the cave she sheltered in, peering hopefully for Tia striding from the valley.

Yet should she wait with such hope? After she woke from a slumber her exhausted body had forced on her, Tia had offered to visit a nearby town to collect some supplies, but how could Veanna know whether that was true? She would be nothing but a hindrance currently, and would surely fetch a high price if Tia were to sell her to the Niskans.

Then again, if treachery was her aim, why would Tia have left behind all belongings but her sword? She had gone so far as to wrap a blanket around Veanna's shoulders and press a dagger into her hand. Why defend her - to lure a lesser fighter into a false sense of security?

Veanna sighed, her breath clouding as it left her lips. She didn't know how long it had been since she was stolen from the palace, but autumn had taken hold of the Lands. Her fingers were numb while her palms burned in pain, the soreness in her feet now matched her chafed wrists and ankles, and her stomach was growling as a reminder of how lightheaded she still felt. The horrible truth was that without trusting Tia, she had no hope of survival.

Not long ago, she had been home and safe. Now, she waited in enemy lands for a stranger to bring her salvation or doom. The only protection she had was the promise of an absent woman, and the dagger she clutched so tightly she thought her palms might bleed again.

A shadow materialised on the path and Veanna tensed, shrinking back into the darkness before she recognised Tia's silhouette. Residual paranoia froze her in place until she was certain that the woman was alone.

Tia raised her hands as she reached the cave, stopping just inside the entrance, as though she could sense Veanna's fear through the shadows. She remained still until Veanna approached, her expression relaxing when she emerged from the darkness.

Tia shrugged a new pack from her shoulders and stepped farther into the cave. The other woman intrigued Veanna. She knew that the intricate tattoos adorning her golden-brown skin were a mark from the Outlands, though she had never met an Outlander before. There was something familiar in the way she carried herself, not unlike the bearing of a career soldier.

"No one acted suspiciously in the town," Tia said, her lilting accent bouncing through the cave. "And I was not followed out; did anybody pass by here?"

Veanna shook her head mutely.

"I have more food and drink, and some warmer clothes for you," Tia explained as she knelt and drew purchases from the bag. "I also acquired some bedding and stocked up on tikyn root."

"Thank you," Veanna said quietly, surprised and touched by her thoughtfulness. She didn't enjoy the bitter taste of the root, but was relieved she would be able to control the blood and aches of the monthly tides, as her mother called them.

Tia inclined her head and handed a bundle to her, before settling more comfortably and dividing her supplies between the two packs.

Veanna was relieved to unfurl the new clothes Tia had procured, a shiver down her spine hurrying her into them. She retreated farther into the cave for some privacy, but found herself staring frozen at her clothing. Despite being ragged and filthy, the dress was the only piece of home left with her. It was petty and sentimental, but tears sprang to her eyes at the thought of discarding the once-elegant dress.