48

More images flickered by. He would never forgive himself for letting his guard down, in the bookshop, of all places, when those robbers broke in an attempt to raid the cash box. He had been frozen in place when he found his husband lying on the ground unconscious, only snapping out of it when he heard Eden’s cries of fear. 

He remembered holding them both a little tighter after that day…..

He shrieked in horror as that horrible nightmare replayed before him. He had heard Eden cry and when he rushed to the nursery, she was in the clutches of Hastur. He wailed as Hastur burned the precious baby alive right in front of him. He hadn’t been relieved when Aziraphale came to his side, reassuring him it was only a nightmare. Nothing more. He had hugged Eden closer than ever after that night but his heart couldn't help but melt when his tiny little girl smiled for the first time, mere moments after Aziraphale attempted to calm him.

“She wanted me to know that everything was going to be okay.” Crowley rasped lovingly, only to go rigid again when that memory vanished and was replaced by an unpleasant one….

“No!” Crowley croaked out weakly. “No, Queenie, don't go near him!” He would never understand why Eden had left the safety of the Pulsifers home to try to investigate the alleged “demonic activity” in the area. She and her friend Bella had discovered Hastur, eager to kill the small girl. If Bella had not run away then and had he not seen her while he was driving to find the girls…..

He would never forget the pained pride when he and Aziraphale found their poor daughter, terrified and in her serpent form. They had missed her first transformation…..that would be something that they would never get back. She must have been so afraid, which most definitely triggered her transformation….she needed them, needed him, at that moment more than ever. But he had been too late….and she nearly died in the process….

“I was so scared, Daddy.” 

“I don't want to be a monster again….”

(To see this event in its entirety, please consider reading True Form, which can be found on the Reading list entitled Ineffable Family.)