Chapter 4: First Ride

"How'd go?"

"Was it a prank?"

"Oh my God, have you been turned into a meme?"

"Sung, I love you but not the right time."

"Sorry."

"It went good. He's serious about it."

"When's the wedding? I never thought I'd use this literally."

"He's giving me a month to actually decide if I also want to get married."

"What are you going to do?"

"Well, during this month he'll drop me to and from the uni, and we'll also have dates so I guess, I'll figure it out with time. This is so unexpected and basically agreeing to it equals to selling myself for money. Money that I need. Money that could save my sister."

"Does he know?"

"He's searched me, a lot but he doesn't know about it, only about the fact that she exists and lives with my mum."

"Are you going to tell him?"

"No, not now. I'm scared he's going to pay for everything and that will only guilt trip me into agreeing."

Hyunjin had thought for a split second to just agree on the spot with Changbin and get on with whatever he had in mind if he was willing to pay whatever would be needed for his little sister's full treatment.

She had been battling cancer for two years now and the only available treatment that should work was costing too much.
No matter where and how much Hyunjin and his mum would work nothing would ever be enough but with Changbin in the middle... for him this was equal to buying a cheap, used car.

However Hyunjin still hesitated. He had to see for himself that Chanbgin was indeed willing to pay for anything he would ask for.
He had to set the right conditions for this marriage, so he hoped his sister's health would not further deteriorated.
Because the moment things would turn for the worse, he'd agree on the spot.

His alarm rang but he was already awake, in fact he hadn't slept at all, too worried to find any type of peace.

He got up, did whatever was needed for the room to feel tidy and walked to the kitchen in hopes of finding something to eat and of course his shelf was empty, he hadn’t gone grocery shopping in a while for many reasons that is, the main one; money were not enough.

"Hyun, morning. Do you have a class?"

"Yes, I got to go."

"Wait, won't you eat something?"

"I don't have time bye."

Felix signed and went to look in Hyunjin's shelf which was empty for two weeks now.
Of course Hyunjin's pride would never allow him to ask for help, or at least for a small portion of food from his best friends.
Felix knew, Jisung too, they just hoped things would change.
Felix hadn't seen Hyunjin actively eat in over seven days now and the last time was because he had cooked a huge meal to thank them for their help in a project and Hyunjin had eaten as if he had been starving for days, which in that case was true.

All of them were already thin enough but Hyunjin had started to wither and Felix could noonger watch.
He would do something drastic, something Hyunjin wouldn't like but clearly needed.

"Mr Hwang!"

"Oh! It's you again..."

"I'm Kim Jongsu. Hop, in the car, we are going to be late."

"Thank you Mr Kim."

"Nothing dear."
"Changbin! I didn't know you'd be here. Good morning."

"Good morning darling. I'm just riding along before being dropped of at work."

"You go to work?"

"Mhm.. I do, I'm that kind of a boss."

"That's actually good, it shows you are serious about your responsibilities. "

"Oh I am darling. How are you today? Did you eat?"

"Y-yeah. All good. "

And of course his tummy would betray him.

"Why'd you lie to me? You clearly haven't eaten anything. Are you dieting? Stop please, you are already pretty skinny as it is."

"No, no. I'm not dieting. I just- I didn't gave enough time-"

"Mr Kim, can you pass me the bag from the bakery?"

"Yes sir."

"Here you go Jin-ah. Pick whatever you like."

"But these are for you."

"No they're not and please do as I say, if I need something I'll just buy it."

The bag was filled with every pastry Hyunjin ha ever heard of and hadn't.
He couldn't decide, his mind getting confused after realizing of the options he had.
At the end just when the car came to a stop in front of his university he settled for one of the huge butter croissants.

"Changbin where are you going?"

"I'm carrying your bag to your lecture darling, it's really heavy, I don't want you getting hurt."

"No, no. I'm good. Please don't."

"Okay then, I'll just carry it till we get outside of your lecture hall. No arguing."

"Okay, I guess. Thank you so much." Hyunjin said and to show his appreciation bowed in front of Changbin

"I thought I made it clear, there is no need to bow for me."

"But- we're here."

"Okay darling, here you go. Be careful alright? Mr Kim will pick you up when you are ready to go. We'll meet in my house alright?"

"Yes, okay. I'll see you soon."

"Bye darling, I hope you have a great day." Changbin exclaimed and kissed Hyunjin's cheek leaving him blushing behind.

"Bye, Bin."

IVY:

I created Hyunjin's sister just for Marilin because she always wanted people to see what cancer patients are going through.
The character is inspired by her and dedicated to her.