Chapter 6 - Introductions

"Morning Drum." A voice called out cheerily. The uniformed Sargent looking up to see a woman smiling at him. His eye growing wider as he realised who it was.

Yesterday, she had looked so different, still like Jim Walker, but prettier. Yet now, as she made her way over to the desk, it was no longer Flash he was seeing, but a very beautiful woman; the short wig that she had sported, as the thief, replaced by a head of long hair, that had been neatly braided and fell over her left shoulder. And though she still wore clothing that was very much masculine, a clean white shirt and waistcoat over a pair of dark trousers that were tucked into the tops of a pair of knee-high boots; she was very much a lady. And the amount of cleavage that he could see thanks to the open buttons of the shirt, though not scandalous, was still making the poor man's mind, race.

"Mornin J.........Miss............I.........."

"My name is Elizabeth, Drum. But, as you are so cute, you can call me Beth." Elizabeth chuckled, as the young Sargent blushed. The agent having quite forgetting what effect she could have on a gentleman, when she appeared as she really was.

"The inspector here yet......?" She continued, as she looked into Reid's office.

"Not yet. No one else is here yet............."

"Is that right.........?" Beth asked, as she leaned across the counter. Stopping herself from laughing as the man gulped heavily.

"So.......its just me and you? Well, isn't that nice. And you know what that means, don't you............." Beth continued, her voice coming out a little deeper and sultrier.

"No, I..........." The poor young Sargent almost squeaked back in reply, before running his finger around the inside of his collar.

"Well, it means........that you can make me a nice cup of tea." The lady said with a chuckle. Drum almost breathing a sigh of relief and nodding happily. Beth sure that he must have thought she was going to eat him, as he nearly tripped over his own feet, while making his way over to the little potbellied stove and placed the kettle on top.

                                                        >>-----------------------------------<<

Reid made his way into the station. There had been some discussion between himself, the captain and Drake, once the Sargent had returned; Reid telling the two other men, what the lady had said. That she was not there to take over the investigation, just assist. Homer seeming to be quite interested in dealing with the alter ego of James Walker; but Drake, well, Drake had been a different matter. The former soldier just sitting there quietly, sullenly, snorting in an unamused way occasionally, as the inspector explained what would happen next, when the lady returned to the station the next day. And despite what he had said, despite Sir Warren's warnings about her treatment, Edmund had a feeling that Bennet was going to do anything but make Miss Quinn's job easy. Though, he also had a feeling, and given what he knew of James Walker's reputation; the lady would give the detective Sargent, as good as she got.

"No. He didn't? Oh, I wish I had known that. That would have made things, so much funnier........." A female voice came. A light chuckle filling the open space. Reid taking the hat from his head, as he made his way over to the desk. His brows quirking, as he saw Drummond and Miss Quinn sitting there, gossiping over tea. Drum nearly spitting out his drink, as he saw the superior officer watching him.

"S......sorry......Sorry sir. The Sargent spluttered, wiping the tea from his chin, as he quickly stood up.

"Good morning, Inspector. Sargent Drummond had just been kind enough to make me a cup of tea, while I waited for you to get here." Beth explained, as she came up behind Drum. Offering Edmund a smile, as she moved around the desk and came to stand in front of him. Reid feeling his cheek's heating, as she looked up at him. The inspector used to dealing with all types of people in Whitechapel; yet a beautiful woman, dressed in men's clothes, that had come to assist him with perhaps catching the Ripper, was certainly a little different. The hint of a light makeup; of powder, shadow and lipstick bringing out the shade of her eyes, and showing that she was very much a woman, compared to how she had first appeared when she had first made her way into his office, dressed as James Walker.

"Please don't blame Drum. It was all my fault, Inspector Reid..........." Beth continued, her smile lingering.

"Mornin........." Another voice came, giving Reid a cause to back away. Homer pulling the hat from his head, as he saw the lady suddenly appear from in front of him.

It was true that the captain had met Jim Walker. His run-ins with the Flash thief though, nothing when compared to the likes of Drake. Homer having to admit that he had found himself wondering how she would look when she reappeared the next morning. And he had to say, as he stood in front of her, he wasn't disappointed in what he was seeing.

"Good morning, Captain Jackson." Beth began, as she stepped towards him, holding out her hand.

"I know that I have met you when I was James; but as myself, we are yet to be properly introduced. My name is Elizabeth Quinn; but please, call me Beth........" Beth continued. Smiling as the Pinkerton agent took her hand and bringing it up to his lips, he kissed her knuckles.

"Well Miss Beth. May I say that it is a pleasure to meet the real you. And personally, I prefer you this way. Though I have a feeling that you will make as much of an impression as yourself, as you did as Jim." Homer replied. Reluctantly letting go of her hand, yet still allowing his eyes to linger. The lady smiling until they all heard the front door open. All of them looking over to see Drake standing in the doorway.