Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

Ch. 16

Emma is waiting for me at the gate, shaking her head in disgust when I reach her. "I tried to get them to stop, but they wouldn't."

Bruce stands next to the guy who's replacing the locks, so I run towards them, finding a defiant Bruce who's ready to fight. I hold back, in shock and scared to ask why he's doing it.

"I'm selling up and have a cash buyer who's already in the process of paying. They want your stuff out by the next few days," Bruce explains. "As a goodwill gesture, I will pay for the removal service, but the only furniture that's yours is the bed. The rest is mine."

"But Bruce—"

He cuts me off immediately, not in the mood to discuss anything. "I'm well within my rights to do this, Imogen. I have been nothing but fair to you, okay? It's time I start working for myself, not spending hours every night stressing about people not paying me back."

"Okay," I whisper, sensing his mind is already made up. "But I'll need some stuff for tonight at least."

The locksmith offers me a sad look as he opens the door, shaking his head in disgust when Bruce isn't looking. I rush to my flat, almost tripping and flying over the last step of the staircase. It's a scramble to choose the essentials, knowing I will be sleeping in my car tonight.

After grabbing everything I know I'll need, I struggle to carry the two bin bags back down to where the men stand watching me. I thank the locksmith, who helps by taking the first bag off me. I avoid eye contact with Bruce, stopping midway when he turns his back to me.

"I'm sorry it's come to this, Bruce. I adored that little flat," I say, walking past him when he won't talk to me.

The locksmith waits by the boot of my car, lifting the bag inside when I open it up. "This is awful, love. Don't agree with it at all. I would never have taken the job if I had known this was happening. Do you have anywhere to go?"

"Yeah." I lie, knowing it's safer, considering he's a stranger. "I'll be okay."

He huffs. "Bless ya. At least you do. I'm sure you'll be back on your feet in no time."

"Yeah," I say weakly, climbing back in my car to drive back to work, pleased Jude and Nathan are both attending the latest Ferrari release conference as my fuzzy head would struggle to explain.

The last part of the afternoon feels neverending, the night even worse as I attempt to sleep in the back of my car. It's colder than I anticipated, the sounds of people walking home and foxes calling to each other making it impossible to sleep.

I'm on edge, telling myself I'm safe locked in the car, but my gaze won't leave the windows. I pull my duvet up past my ears, rearranging the pillow so it shields my head from the hard armrest.

It's humbling how your life can change with a flip of a coin; they say you're only one paycheck away from homelessness and it's never been truer.

I close my eyes, squeezing the duvet hard between my fingers, begging for sleep.

***

I open my car boot and shove in the duvet and pillows, massaging the base of my neck to try to relieve the crick there as I climb into the driver's side and start the car.

The drive to Protech feels quicker than usual, probably because of the rushing thoughts in my head. It's a wonder I haven't caused an accident, feeling like I only come to when I turn off onto the industrial estate.

Nathan is chatting to Kyle when I pull through the gates, finding my usual parking space. I watch his face drop when I slide out of the car, patting Kyle's arm when he leaves their conversation to approach me.

icon lock

Show your support for Holly Ellis, and continue reading this story

by Holly Ellis
@HTEllis
After landing a secretary job at a luxury mechanic shop, Imogen Rober...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 10 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @HTEllis.