Wattpad Original
There are 10 more free parts

Ch. 6

I sail through my first week without any scrapes. Friday is officially here, and as per their ritual, the team all want to celebrate a good week with dinner and a few drinks.

That's how I find myself at Camden Market as the sun dips lower in the sky. The plan is to buy food from the stalls before hitting up a few of the bars. I love Camden. It's one of the best bits of London for me, but I'm concerned it will end up an expensive night.

Camden also stands out as a risk for me, considering it's where Jude and I first met.

We get paid monthly at Protech, so the next few weeks will be tight where money is concerned, but I raided what very little that's in my rainy-day fund for tonight.

I don't want to miss out on something.

I shuffle past a cluster of people and order myself a cheesy garlic flatbread from a keto vendor, going for the chocolate and pistachio sugar-free doughnut for afters. I'm waiting for my order when I feel a presence next to me.

I flick my eyes over and see Jude holding a square takeaway box. Tonight, he's gone for smart casual with nice jeans, a pale blue button-down shirt, and Italian leather boots on his feet. I chose my cream-cropped flare jeans and a floaty blouse tonight. It's very summer and comfortable, the vibrant flowers on my blouse allowing me to go confident with my lip colour—a gorgeous pink.

He looks down at the sign. "So, you going for pizza?"

"Sure am. I treated myself to a doughnut, too. Sugar-free," I say to him, so very excited.

Jude munches on his noodle dish. "When did you find out about your diabetes?"

"When I was a young kid. My parents were concerned because I was always sleeping. Then, on my fourth birthday party, I was lying on the sofa while the other kids were playing. They called an ambulance when they couldn't get me to wake up, and in hospital, they diagnosed me with type one diabetes," I say.

Jude widens his eyes. "Wow, so it's something you've had to learn to live with since being tiny?"

I nod. "Yeah."

It's under control now, but sometimes it does restrict me. Growing up, I was scared of many foods, but after the doctor referred me to a nutritionist, I found out it's just about making smarter choices and following which foods make me feel good.

Kenny, a local bouncer who knows Margot, spots me and says hello in passing, along with Heather, who owns my favourite boho jewellery shop in The Stables part of Camden markets.

"You're almost as well known around here as me," Jude says, flashing me a side-smirk.

I tilt my head. "I haven't seen anyone say hello to you."

He barks out a noise I would say is between a snort and cough. "I'm incognito tonight."

I run my eyes up and down his long and muscular body. "I think you need to rethink your clothing choices if that's the case." There's nothing understated about him.

Jude definitely laughs this time. "Okay, then. Tell me something else you're craving. I know all the best food spots."

I sigh. "I don't fully trust your food choices after spotting two bottles of mayonnaise stashed away in your office."

"And what's wrong with mayonnaise?" he asks, totally shocked.

I look him dead in the eye, shaking my head. "So many things are wrong with mayonnaise, but by the look on your face, I think it's best not to hurt your feelings about it."

Jude attempts to stop his smile when he tilts his face up at the sky, giving me his shining eyes. "It's good to spend time with you outside of work when you're not so busy. I like finding out more about you."