Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

Ch. 11

The week wizzes by again, and before I know it, it's Friday evening. Christopher's fundraiser is tonight, and the entire team is going.

It's stressful spending time in my flat now, knowing it's getting taken away, so I'm grateful for the excuse to go out tonight, but I'm still uneasy. I have a pretty dress but no cheque book, and even though Jude put his dad in his place, I still feel like he was being truthful about expecting me to bring it.

Not to mention that all day, Jude's been stoic to me. It's almost like he's been avoiding me. I wonder if he didn't intend to bring me to the fundraiser altogether. After all, I'm only going because of his dad's invitation.

I wouldn't have minded if he let me know he didn't think it best I come along. Then I wouldn't have had to spend the day trying to work out why he was so morose.

That shit feels icky.

I just hope a glitzy night living in a fantasy world where I mingle with the super-rich will help keep my mind off everything. I might even pretend to bid for a bachelor. Yes, that's a thing, according to Nathan.

I head into my bedroom, pulling the silk dress Margot leant me out of the protective bag to hold it against myself in the long wall mirror. My dress is on par with the photos Kyle showed me earlier of his girlfriend's outfit last year, being floor length and a champagne colour, so hopefully I'll blend in with the crowd. The silk material is always fun to wear, but I may have to pull out the Spanx to hide my bloating.

Tomorrow marks six weeks of pregnancy.

My complexion is on the peaky side, but nothing a bit of instant tan won't fix, so I jump in the shower to shave, exfoliate, and wash my hair.

Using my time to do my hair, I blow-dry it and use my big curling iron to do the Hollywood glam ringlets that I pin up to cool and slip into the dress. It's a perfect fit, showing off my shoulders with the halter neck design.

Then I comb out the curls, pinning them up into a bun at the base of my neck, the vintage style curls adding texture to the front as I part my fringe to the side and secure the waves with pins and hair spray.

I finish the look with winged eyeliner and my trusty red lipstick before heading out the door. The clutch bag in my hand is heavy with all my stuff, heels in my other hand as I rush to the car in my trainers.

It's my turn to give Kyle a ride after he drove to Camden, so I head over to Brixton first. Kyle's flat is easy to find, spotting him and his girlfriend Niamh waiting for me outside.

My wave is met by Niamh's huge smile, her dark brown eyes shining so genuinely through her cat-eye glasses.

If she's anything like the way Kyle describes her, she'll be someone I really like. They're a young couple who just moved in together, and she's taking classes to become a Midwife. I'm growing quite a soft spot for Kyle. The bloke is so blooming pure and sweet.

Who am I kidding? The soft spot is filled for all the lads at Protech. They're all so brilliant.

Kyle and Niamh clamber in the back, saying hello and strapping themselves safe.

"It's so nice to meet you," I say to Niamh, turning to look at her.

She's clinging onto Kyle's hand, still smiling. "You too. Thanks so much for taking us."

"Honestly, I'm grateful to be going with you guys. I hate walking into things like this alone," I respond. "If you can't tell, I'm nervous."

Kyle gives me a sympathetic smile. "Don't be. We'll all stick together. Half the people are only there to keep up appearances, and it's fun to see them blow so much cash, but we never donate a lot. Just take advantage of the free food and drink."