𝐓𝐖𝐎

The air was cold

The air was cold.

I stood next to Warner's bedroom door. There was not a single sight of another guard or worker in the hallway, not even on the whole floor.

It was 7:29, My feet had already reached the place where they were currently standing at 7:20. I didn't want to get fired on my 'first day' already, if you know what I mean.

My eyes looked down at my lifted arm onto my watch, which was tied around my wrist. Turns out Kenji really had it and I didn't even have to say anything before he literally threw it into my hands and ran away like a little child. I wasn't sure if I did something wrong, or maybe looked at him in any derogative way. Maybe I did. If I did, it wasn't on purpose. Promise.

The seconds pointer ticked around above the behind glass hidden paper with numbers on it.

fifty-three.
fifty-four.
fifty-five.
fifty-six.
fifty-seven.
fifty-eight.
fifty-nine.
sixt-

The door swung open.

Had he been waiting for the exact second? Huh.

"Good morning, Hetchers."

My posture fixed on itself and I just hoped I looked anyhow acceptable.

I looked the same as every day. D̶r̶a̶i̶n̶e̶d̶.

"Good morning." The exact same words coming out of my mouth sounded so different from when he said it. His voice was more careful, a hint of hoarse hidden.

He started walking. I followed.

Somehow, I can't explain it, my eyes found their way over his body and I inspected his outfit of the day. He was wearing a dark grey suit. A waistcoat and tie in the exact same color hidden underneath his blazer. His suit wasn't too big, or too tight. It was perfectly tailored. Only for him. The black shoes on his feet were so clean I could see myself in them.

We stepped into the elevator, the doors closed.

In contrast to him, I looked like someone homeless. My hair was only combed and laid over my shoulders. The eye bags under my eyes were visible and my clothes only consisted of the typical guard outfit. There was only one badge on my chest.

Personal guard.

I'm not sure if or how Warner even decided that I was his new guard. He probably didn't even choose me himself. He could also just have said: 'Well, I don't need and want a new personal guard.' It would be understandable.

But how on earth did I, a woman, the only one in the house, get chosen?

The doors opened. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

Our feet moved in sync as we stepped along the hallway. We passed guards, doors, I even saw Kenji, who gave me a little smile. Finally, we reached the dining hall. It was even bigger than I imagined. The walls were high, gold white and grey features added to it. This was absolutely-

"Hetchers?"

Warner had sat down.

I gulped. I didn't realize that I had stopped walking. Quickly I headed to the wall behind him and stood three and a half meters away from him.

My head was turned down for some time, the only sound in the room being the cutlery hitting against the porcelain plates.

I turned my gaze up.

He was sitting there all alone. I was wondering if he gets lonely sometimes. But on the other hand, I knew I shouldn't be thinking about him in this way. He was Warner. The chief commander of North America's son.

Another face on the end of the room caught my eye. He was already looking at me.

Matteo.

Please don't think that I was in any way attracted to him. He was like the older brother I never had. Matteo was 24, I had become 19 twenty-eight days ago. We both were fully aware of that sight of our friendship.

Suddenly, Warner dropped his knife onto the plate. He stood up and headed out of the room. I immediately followed him. From the side I could see that his jaw was clenched. Was he.. mad? Was I going to get fired now already? HUH??

We didn't take the elevator this time.

I had to follow him the stairs all the way up till we reached the 28th floor, where his office was.

As soon as we reached the door, he stepped in and shut it behind him.

A sigh escaped me and I moved onto my position, waiting.

~~~

Tick.

Tick.

Tick.

I could feel my eyes getting heavy from watching the seconds pointer. It had been five hours and exactly 36 minutes later, and Warner was still inside there, working.

This job wasn't any different from my old, if not even easier, but somehow it felt so, so more difficult.

At hour two I had put my hair up, something simple, only to have free eyesight. I had to get used to this task, but it was incredibly hard.

I started humming.

Kenji, a big 'swiftie', as he calls himself, had showed me music of his. It wasn't legal anymore to own these CDs, but it was, for Kenji. He didn't care.

To be honest, Taylor Swift really knew what she was doing. This woman was a mastermind. Her songs and music were incredible.

Kishimoto once was fully convinced that he saw me crying to my tears ricochet, but he's just imagining things. It's Kenji.

Anyway, I'm not sure where he got these and I hope he doesn't know that I stole nearly the half-

A creak of the door next to me brought me out of my thoughts.

Warner turned to me, for the first time ever.

H̶e̶ h̶a̶d̶ l̶o̶o̶k̶e̶d̶ a̶t̶ m̶e̶ s̶o̶ m̶a̶n̶y̶ t̶i̶m̶e̶s̶ b̶e̶f̶o̶r̶e̶ a̶l̶r̶e̶a̶d̶y̶, I̶ j̶u̶s̶t̶ h̶a̶d̶ n̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ n̶o̶t̶i̶c̶e̶d̶.

"Your hair looks nice."

I didn't even fully realize his words before he turned around and headed along the hallway.

Had Warner, the commander of Sector 45, just given me a compliment?

My mind progressed his words, and when I finally realized what he said wasn't just imagination,

I smiled.