𝐙𝐄𝐑𝐎

I felt my jaw drop

I felt my jaw drop.

My eyes were wide and my breath was caught in my throat. No.
No.
No.
No.

This is all a joke. I'm imagining things. There was no chance that I had been assigned as-

"Why are you looking like you've seen a ghost, dude?"

I broke my gaze from the new schedule for the guards and turned to Kenji Kishimoto, who had approached me.

We were standing in the hallway by the quarters for the guards in Sector 45, right in front of the freshly hung out timetable.

If I'm honest, I have no idea how I and Kenji became friends, if you could even call it that. He probably just approached me one time and started talking. It would be Kenji-like.

Kishimoto hat only started several weeks- or months? - I'm not sure, ago. I would never really say that I liked him or enjoyed his presence, but I could stand him. He was one of the only ones that talked with me here, so I was thankful.

I always felt something off about him, like he had a secret or a mission or something like that. He was too open sometimes, too comfortable in his own skin.

But that didn't change the fact that he was Kenji. My friend.

As soon as he read what I did, his mouth opened and he looked at me in shock. "Wow, man."

Well, I wasn't imagining things.

Ben K., the old guard, that had been assigned for years as the personal guard for the commander of 45, got fired or was dead. Supposedly.

Right where Ben's name stood before, under the Commander's personal guard, was a new name.

My name.

Deep down I knew that I had to accept it and just do my job. Being the only woman with hundreds of male guards was already hard. But even deeper, I was scared.

Fear is something you can't control.

Either you have it, or you don't.

"Hey- Uh, Cas? You look like you're about to slaughter everyone in this room."

My head turned up to look at the black-haired man next to me again. "No- I'm okay."

I sure hell wasn't.