Chapt. 2- My Worst Fear.

"Bridget?" I hear a voice say, putting down his handgun and slowly coming out from the shadows.

"Blake!" I yell, relief flooding through me. Blake is my dad's co-worker's son. Whenever our parents are out, I'd visit his house and we'd do anything to pass the time.

"Bridget! I was so worried!" He exclaims, running towards me, wrapping his muscular arms around me.

I accept the hug, and after a while, I break the awkward silence. "Where is everyone?" I ask, staring up at his big brown eyes.

"I'm not sure. I'm assuming you got the note, too?" He brushes my bangs out of my eyes.

I slowly nod, breaking the embrace.

Soon enough, a black raven flies overhead and drops a scroll tied with a red ribbon.

I catch it just in time, untie it, and Jake and I read aloud simultaneously:

"For your first task, you must build a canoe out of the pieces hidden in the desert. You have exactly 30 minutes. Best of luck.

-567"

I take in a deep breath, exhaling slowly.

"You take the left half of the desert, I'll take right" Blake suggests, and I nod, agreeing.

He kisses my forehead quickly, running to his section. I turn as red as a tomato, but quickly shake off the uplifting feeling.

Focus, Bridget! You have a boyfriend. Josh. He's the one you're going through all of this for, besides, it was a friendly gesture. Not on the lips, not even longer than a second.

Looking for a possible piece of a canoe, I find a cave off to my right. I run towards it, hoping there may be some pieces there.

-Sssssssss...-

What was that? I back away slowly from the cave. I see a little green head appear from behind a large rock, it's beady eyes glaring at me.

Crap... I HATE snakes. My worst fear, ever since I nearly died from a bite when I was 10 years old and playing hide-and-seek with Matt in our backyard. I can remember the piercing venom travel through my veins, me crying out in pain as my vision started to blackout. Matt was just a toddler, but he was a little smarter than me back then. He knew that when something didn't feel right, to come back inside. I, on the other hand, called him a scaredy-cat and ran off in the woods to add the finishing touches to Blake and and I's fort.

Then, suddenly, I felt like someone shot my leg. I turned around sharply and noticed a snake with it's fangs stuck in my ankle. I could've died that day, if Blake hadn't come to check up on the fort. I don't remember much, but he claims that he saw me and carried me bridal-style, running to the nearest hospital. My parent were contacted and they had to use a lot of needles and liquids to get out the venom and give me clean blood.

I glance down to my ankle. The scar's still there, four little indents and stitches surrounding them.

The snake gets closer and closer, the hissing getting louder with every inch.

"N-nice snake... Don't get n-near me..." I say with a shaky and timid voice.

The snake lunges toward me, I screech and flee from the cave.

Maybe there's some other canoe pieces around here somewhere...?

I scan and search every knick and cranny of my half (besides the cave), and end up empty-handed.

Sighing, I give up trying and head towards the cave again.

The snake is there again, this time, he brought friends. Oh joy.

'Don't be scared... They can smell fear' I hear an unknown voice echo through my head.

I take a sharp intake of air, and close my eyes.

I'll count to seven. By the time I get to seven, I'll open my eyes and travel across the pool of snakes with no problem.

One.

Think of your family.

Two.

You're doing this for them.

Three.

Josh.

Four.

Matthew.

Five.

Dad.

Six.

Blake.

Seven.

Mom...

I open my eyes, and take one step. A snake tries to take a jab at my ankle, the exact place where my scar is, but misses and recoils.

Mom... All of a sudden I feel adrenaline start to push me forward.

I'm doing this for mom. That's why I'm here. I'm on a mission... For her. She's trying to send me a message.

I wander off in my mind, and feel a sharp stab of pain in my leg.

"Ow..!!!" I exclaim, realizing I was bitten.

That must have attracted the others. They all come slithering towards me, and I receive several more bites.

By this time, I'm running deeper into the cave. I have to find somewhere to hide!

I find a convenient little room made of rocks, and step inside of it.

I grab two massive boulders and block the entryway. That should hold them long enough for me to examine the damage.

Oh, God, it hurts! I take of my shirt and press it against my leg to stop all the bleeding. Good thing I have on an undershirt, I think. At least I still have some kind of protection on my chest.

I don't think they were venomous, otherwise I would be dead right about now.

I tie my shirt around my leg and then search around the room for any stray canoe pieces.

Aha! I spot two paddles leaning against a boulder. I grab them and jump out a small opening in the cave.

I'm out! I'm finally out of that hellhole. But just for... Two paddles. Wow. I hope I didn't miss anything, I would really rather not go back in there.

I limp over to Blake's half of the desert, when I hear screaming.