Courageous

A/N: I hope you guys like this! I'm actually pretty proud of it. :P

BRIDGET IS SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE TAYLOR SWIFT

Prologue

"Hey, Bridget! Help me out with this, will ya?" Josh calls out.

"Sure thing!" I reply, fixing my blonde curls and pulling at my white T-shirt.

I race over to the huge red barn, noticing Josh chasing after the chickens. I giggle a little, gathering eggs never was his forte.

"Don't just stand there! Help me!" He cries, clearly annoyed.

I hide a laugh, covering it with a smile.

"Josh, you do know that the owner already collected the eggs for today...?" I cock an eyebrow, leaning against the barn door frame.

He lets out a sigh of relief. "Are you finished with the harvesting yet?"

"Yeah, actually, I was just pulling the last turnip when you called for me." I answer.

"Okay then, let's get back to town then!" He takes hold of my hand as I blush and follow him out.

"I'll be right back, Bridg. I have to run a few errands first. Go on home an I'll meet you there." He says, giving me a peck on the cheek and walking into the store.

Josh practically lives in my house now, ever since we started dating. I remember the first day I met him, his dark brown eyes looking straight into my light blue ones. The way he runs his fingers through his hair so carelessly completely captivates me. If anything would've happened to him, I wouldn't know what to do with my life anymore.

My father is very protective, but he 'has a good feeling about Josh'. I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean, but I just shrugged it off, not thinking it was very important. He works for the Mayor, which means he knows the "secrets" of the town, whatever that's supposed to mean. Our town is too dull to have any secrets. Don't get me wrong, I love this town! I never want to move. The people are very friendly and we have a lot of schools.

My younger brother, Matthew, looks up to Josh. They both have the same eyes, but Matt has blonde hair like my mother and I, meanwhile Josh has dark brown hair. We rarely ever talk of mother. She passed away 12 years ago, when I was 6 and Matt was only a month old. Father says that I am a spitting image of mother. She had the exact same pale eyes and blonde, curly hair.

A week after my mother's death, I found a golden heart-shaped locket in one of her drawers with a picture of me and her sitting in a rocking chair together. To this day, I always wear it underneath my clothing. I only ever showed Josh the locket.

Once I arrive at my house, I take out a key from my jean shorts pocket and unlock the front door.

"Hello? Matthew?"

No response. I call out again. No response still.

It's usual for father to be out at late meetings, but Matt is almost always here with his babysitter, Emma.

"Emma? Are you here?"

No response.

I decide that they're probably in the town park. It's Matt's favorite place to go.

Taking out my ponytail holder, I notice a piece of paper taped to the kitchen wall.

'Ever wish to see your loved ones again? For your first task, you must come to the desert. You have exactly 12 hours to be standing next to the north cactus. -567'

What is this supposed to mean? Where is my family? Is Josh still here? Is anyone here? Isn't the desert on the other side of the state? That'll take me at least 18 hours on foot! I guess I better use a car... What the heck is the north cactus?

Who is 567?