Chapter 5: It's Just One Drink

Maddie

I can't believe Tyler is coming to my defence like this. One it's super sexy and two it makes me feel like I'm worth something. Tyler doesn't stick around to hear what Matt has to say in response, he wraps his arm around me and leads us out the door and right into the lobby.

"Do you want to get out of here, maybe grab a drink somewhere?" Tyler asks me as if nothing just happened.

"Sure, do you think I can meet you out front, I need to use the restroom." I replied. I don't actually have to use it; I just want to fix my hair and makeup.

"Yeah I'll grab my bike and call a cab for us."

Without thinking I hug him then head straight to the bathroom, wipe away my extra mascara, try to fix my hair, I have a hair tie in my purse so I pull my hair half up then head out front to meet Tyler. When I join him on the curb, I can't help but shiver, it's gotten a bit cooler than earlier.

"Are you cold?" Tyler asks.

"no, it's okay I'm good it was just a chill." I answer, but Tyler moves in front of me and starts rubbing my arms to try to warm me up. When he stops, I shiver again.

"Sorry, I guess I am a bit cold." I say not wanting him to think I'm shivering because of his touch.

"Here come I'll keep you warm until the cab comes." Tyler says as he pulls me into a bear hug. Rubbing my back to keep me warm. Again, still not sure why he keeps acting like this, flirting, making romantic gestures. It brings me back to high school when I would have given anything for him to act like this. The cab finally comes, I climb inside as Tyler puts his BMX bike in the trunk. As Tyler comes in, he gives the driver an address. I sit looking out the window thinking about tonight how strange the entire evening as been

"so, I thought we'd go drop off my bike then walk to the bar? Are you good with that?" Tyler asks

Shaking my head to get out of my thoughts I say "yeah sure" Tyler pulls me to come sit closer to him, wraps his arm around my shoulder and kisses the side of my head. Kisses, like we're a couple, I'm very confused about what's happening. Again... but I won't stop him. I am enjoying it too much. We arrive at his house, climb out of the cab, Tyler pays, gets his bike and walks it into the garage. I wait for him in the driveway. Tyler hollers he'll be right back. He comes back with a hoodie, "Here you go, to keep you warm while we walk. Ready to go?"

"Yep, where to?"

"I was thinking Canalside?"

I nod my head and start walking. I don't really know how to act now. I throw on his hoodie, it smells like him. He keeps acting like we're a couple, I'm clearly not stopping him, but should I act the same way? As I'm lost in my own thoughts, Tyler takes my hand in his. I want to ask him why, ask what he's thinking, how he feels, but I'm also afraid if I do it will be awkward or he'll pull away. Maybe he's just being nice trying to make me feel good still because of Matt.

"Hey where's your head at? It's like you're somewhere else."

I shake my head again, blushing a little embarrassed he caught me. Quickly I reply "Just daydreaming."

"About me at the pond in my boxers?" Tyler laughs, I giggle "You wish" I tease. Tyler grabs at his heart with his free hand "OUCH" I just shake my head.

"So, do you still talk to anyone from Lakeshore?" Tyler asks as we turn the corner to Main street. Lakeshore was our high school.

"Actually because of my photography business I see a lot of our old school mates. But in terms of like friends with still, really only Layla and Ainslie. We get together a few times a month. What about you, now that you're back you call up any of your old friends?"

"Well I kept in touch with my cousins while I was away, and I saw Zac as soon as I got to town, but I don't know people change you know so I'm really just trying to see where life takes me next."

We arrive at Canalside, walk in and grab a table, I sit against the wall, Tyler sits beside me rather than across from me. The waitress comes over and I order a beer; Tyler does the same. He sits back in his chair with his arm draped on my chair. I lean on the table to sneak a peek at him. Wanting to lock this night in my memory. When I lean back in my chair Tyler asks "So if I remember correctly you were quite the party animal back in the day, you and the girls still party like that now?"

"Ha (I laugh sarcastically) not like I used to. I've grown up some since. I mean we go out and light it up, but I can remember shit come morning. I have a reputation to uphold with my businesses plus small town gossip travels fast. Speaking of, jumping into ponds in only my bra and panties isn't really the image I want my clients to know, if you know what I mean?" I told him.

"Oh, come on you mean I can't tell the town?" Tyler asks, pretending to be shocked. Laughing I lean into him, just as our drinks arrive. We cheered and I took a huge drink.

"Yup, that tastes good. I needed this. But seriously Ty thanks for tonight, all of it, the pond, dance, standing up for me to Matt, I'm really happy you followed me." I tell him hoping it's not too sappy.

"Don't worry about it, you do know he's a loser, right? What he said about you it's not true." Tyler takes my chin in his thumb and pointer finger so I am forced to face him.

"Yeah, I know, but Ty, (I look down then back up at him through my lashes, nervous to ask what I'm thinking. Tyler leans in closer, so close we could kiss) I have to ask, what are we doing? Like what is this between us?" It comes out as a whisper because I can barely breathe.

Tyler lets go of my chin and grabs his beer, leans back in his chair so quickly as he answers in this chill tone "What do you mean? We're having a beer together after a shitty event."

Okay weird, yet exactly as I predicted. But I'm not letting him get away that easily.

"And that's it? Just a friend helping out another friend? Just two old friends catching up?" I push because I'm me and I can't just let anything go. I try to sound chill like I don't care either way. Tyler now staring at the TV won't even look at me as he answers "If that's what you want it be then sure."

"What do you want it to be?" I ask him suspiciously while I stare at my beer bottle and start to nervously pick at the label. He doesn't answer, he drinks his beer, shrugs, and keeps watching the TV. I take it as my que to stop pushing the subject. We will always be this. Overly friendly friends. My heart wants it to be more, just like it always has, but I can't let my wall down, I spent too many years building it up against him. I chug my beer, take out a ten, put it under my beer bottle on the table, stand up and say "It's been nice catching up, but I think I should go."

I walk around his chair and he doesn't make any movement to stop me. There's my answer. I walk out of the bar right into a group of 19/20 year old's oh to be young again, no cares just here for a good time. I take out my phone and call a cab to pick me up. I hang up and turn back to watch the crowd, but instead Tyler is standing there. I jump, "What the hell you scared me." I stomp my foot. Why is he out here? I won't play this game with him. I'm too old for it now.