PERTE

"Party Hat...are you still there?"

...

"Party Hat...Party Hat!"

The knot in Paintbrush's gut released when Party Hat slowly woke up again. He quite possibly looked way worse than when he was found, the dark circles under his eyes was proof of that. Perhaps he was just trying to get a second of rest through Paintbrush and Knife's fight. "P-...Paintbrush...you...you're okay...?" He let out a groggily whimper.

"Knife is dead...I don't know what to think, but we have to get out of here already..."

"I-...I don't think...I can...I'm sorry...Paintbrush..."

"No, Party Hat...I'm going to get us ALL out of here. One way or another. I'm going to find the bastard who did this to you, and Suitcase, and Knife...and I'm going to make them pay for everything they've done to you guys..."

"...You're...you're so brave...Paintbrush..." Party Hat chuckled before coughing out a bit of black bile.

"...Party Hat...What did you say about that guy earlier? The guy who brought you here...?"

"I...I think...his name is..." He took a moment to cough out a bit more black gunk from his mouth, "...Air...y..."

"Airy...?"

"That's...that's what I...heard..."

"Why is he doing this? Why is he torturing people like this..?! Why is he capturing people and torturing them?!"

"I..." Party Hat cut himself off with coughs and hacks, unable to keep himself together for another second. Paintbrush clearly knew he was suffering.  They sighed, knowing there was really nothing they could do anymore. "Party Hat...at least just...tell me where the exit key to this library is..."

"I-...It's...hidden in the logs...next to...the fireplace...u-unless...Airy moved it since I was here..."

Paintbrush stood back up and went towards the logs that were propped up next to the fireplace. Taking down each piece one by one, they managed to find a small bronze key hidden within them, hidden in-between the stacks of logs. Paintbrush quickly grabbed the key and went back to the grate where Party Hat was. "Alright, I got the key. I'll come back for you, okay?" They said.

No response.

"Party Hat? Are...are you still there?"

Paintbrush was able to see Party Hat's sprawled out figure on the pile of bodies. And yet, there was no sign of life coming from them. No breaths, no groans of pain, nothing. Paintbrush continued to let out helpless calls to the party hat, hoping to at least get his attention. But...nothing. They sighed when they realized their efforts were futile. "...I'm sorry, Party Hat." They muttered, "I'm so sorry." They then stood back up.

"...I'm going to find Airy. I promise."

Gripping onto the handle of their fire poker, they guided themselves towards the door. They fit the key into the lock and twisted it, before opening the door up. The room before them was almost like a windowless mansion, a hallway lit by dimly lit candles and scented with the faint scent of copper and mold. Paintbrush turned down the flame of their lantern as they looked around. On a dresser against the wall, another cassette tape sat. They didn't have to be told twice what to do. They picked up the recorder and pressed the play button, listening to the familiar monotone voice of Airy.

"Hooray, you made it...congrats on getting through the library...now there's one more you have to save in order to escape...for you...ALL to be freed...so I hope your spirits are a bit...brighter...haha...I uhh...guess. Ahem...good luck."

*Click*

Bright...

They were getting close...

"Lightbulb...I'm so close..."

They looked down the hallway, shining their lamp out to the darkness.

"I'm going to get you out of here..."

They pressed on.

The floor creaked with every step they made against it.

Getting louder, and louder, and louder...

Until suddenly...

It gave way.

SPLASH!!

...

...

*Knock knock knock*

"Test Tube? It's Fan and Cabby. Are you...okay?"

...

"You've been in your lab for half the day now...The others are super worried..."

...

"Testy, please...please, just at least...talk to us. Tell us you're okay."

...

"Uh...Test Tube? I...got some food for you. Since you missed dinner..."

...

"I'll leave it outside your door. Just in case..."

...

"...Please, Test Tube...don't overwork yourself..."

...

Test Tube listened as the footsteps and the wheel sounds outside her lab door faded away. Her body covered in cracks from overwhelm. Bags forming under eyes, puffy and red from the lack of sleep. A screwdriver in her shaky hands, she continued to work on her blatantly failing project. She had no idea what it was supposed to be herself, but she was obsessing over it. She told herself that this would save Paintbrush.

Save everyone.

Test Tube looked at the time on her phone, ignoring the text from Knife saying "You need to get some sleep. You've been up for a day now." 8 pm. She blinked and rubbed her eyes, looking back down at her project.

"Just five more minutes..."