PEINE D'AMOUR

"Well," Dr. Fizz began as he set a thermometer into his medical bag, "Apart from the obvious lack of sleep, she also seems to be running a fever. Seems that she's been overworking herself past the point of stress, and it's taking a toll on her physical and mental health." The soda can looked back at Fan, Bot, and Cabby, who stood near the doorway. "But...she'll be okay, right...?" Bot asked with a small quiver in their voice.

"It's nothing to worry about," Dr. Fizz said, "Just make sure she gets some sleep. If the symptoms worsen within a few days, call me immediately. Other than that, I'm sure a bit of rest will help in terms of her wellness. Be sure to also check up on her once in a while, just to make sure she's okay."

"...Thank you, Dr. Fizz..." Cabby said as she held onto Bot's hand.

Dr. Fizz nodded and picked up his medical bag, beginning to make his way out the door. Not before saying one last "take care," before leaving. The trio of Test Tube's closest ones were left in silence, nothing but the sound of Test Tube's tired and soft breaths filled the room. Cabby then sighed and went over beside Test Tube, putting her hand on her shoulder to soothe her in her slumber. "I'm...sorry, Test Tube..." she mumbled, knowing that Test Tube wouldn't be able to hear her, "For...not doing anything sooner...you must have been so so scared..."

"...What if...what if she only gets worse from here...? The longer Paintbrush is gone-" Bot began. Fan put his hand down on their shoulder. "We'll do everything we can...I-...I promise..." Fan said as he led Bot out of the room. Cabby watched their departure.

"Paintbrush..." Test Tube slowly croaked, prompting Cabby to look down at her in surprise, "I saw...I saw them...after I broke...I saw them...I wanted to reach them...but I...I couldn't...I failed...I failed them...I failed them...!!"

"No! Nonono...! Test Tube, don't say that..." Cabby said as she tucked Test Tube back in, "You're not responsible for any of this...you can't control what's happening, none of us can. And...in reality...there's nothing we can really do but...wait for a sign that everything will be okay. Paintbrush won't be gone forever, Test Tube. You didn't fail anyone...I promise."

"But...I-..." Test Tube tried to come up with the words to describe how she was feeling, but she couldn't. Paintbrush meant so much to Test Tube...

They meant the world to her.

She just...

Couldn't put it into words...

"...How about I stay with you for a while, okay? Just to be sure you'll be okay..."

"...Promise...?"

"Yes...I promise...It's going to be okay, Test Tube. It's going to be okay..."

"...O-...Okay..."

Cabby smiled and wrapped her arms around Test Tube, holding her in an almost caring embrace. "Please...don't leave me...Cabby..." the file cabinet could hear Test Tube mumble under her breath.

"...I won't...I won't."

...

Baseball just sighed outside of the doorway to Test Tube's room. "You okay?" Nickel said when he noticed Baseball standing there. The big sports ball looked over at his best friend, noticing the raised eyebrow on his face.

"You've been latched onto Test Tube ever since Paintbrush disappeared. What's been going on with you?" Nickel asked.

There...wasn't really much to be said.